Semolina porridge was once the first complementary food and the most important dish on the children's table. Now she is not in fashion. One can hear hundreds of arguments in favor of other croup, about the emptiness and caloric content of semolina. But this should not change attitudes towards the once popular porridge. The taste of dishes prepared by your beloved grandmother is impossible to forget. Yes, and do not need! Here is the recipe from childhood.
Secrets of Grandma's semolina
- No water! Our grandmothers made porridge only with whole milk. It has now been proven that the dish is tastier and easier with the addition of water, the cereal with it is quickly boiled soft.
- You will not spoil the porridge with butter! Our grandmothers added up to 150 grams of butter to a liter of milk. Unlike modern versions, in ancient recipes, the oil was put into the ready dish. Now it is often introduced with semolina or even before it.
- No sugar at all! Grandma's porridge has always had a rich sweet taste. In addition to sugar, it may contain jam, sometimes honey.
- Be sure to boil. It is believed that semolina is enough to boil. Then the porridge can be turned off, it will certainly reach the readiness on the hot plate. But semolina from childhood was always cooked, and did it for at least five minutes.
The most difficult in the preparation of semolina for many housewives is the launch of cereal. If you make it wrong or hurry, then lumps form. Get rid and knead them after boiling will not work. Straining porridge - the process is complex and not very pleasant. You can grind it with a blender, but inside the lumps remains raw cereal, the taste of cereal will suffer.
The easiest way out is to learn how to fill the cereal correctly.
How to avoid lumps:
- Fill up the rump with a thin stream, do it with one hand, and simultaneously stir the milk with the second hand. You can pour the cereal into a mug or cup with a handle, it will be convenient.
- Add semolina to boiling milk through a large strainer. In this case, also do not forget to stir, lift a lot from the bottom.
- You can mix the semolina with half of the cold liquid, and then pour it all into the boiling milk. So lumps are not formed.
If friendship with semolina does not add up at all, then simply mix it with the prescription liquid, most often it is milk, put it on the stove and cook. At the same time continuously stir. After boiling cook a little less than that indicated in the recipe.
By the way! You can stir the semolina not with a spoon or spatula, but with a hand whisk. He certainly will not leave any chance to lumps.
It was according to the old recipe here that our grandmothers made porridge. The amount of semolina is indicated approximate to obtain a dish of medium consistency. You can adjust it yourself. We also remember that if porridge is prepared in advance, it is better to add less cereal to it. The dish will stand and become much thicker.
- 500 ml of milk;
- 4 tsp. Sahara;
- 0.3 tsp. salts;
- 60 g semolina;
- 60 g oil.
Method of preparation
- Pour the milk into the saucepan, put on the stove and almost bring to the boil. As soon as the foam begins to gather, reduce the fire.
- A thin stream with constant stirring pour the semolina. If you want to get a thick porridge, then enter 80 grams.
- Cook for about five minutes.
- Add salt and sugar, stir. Cook semolina one more minute, turn off the stove.
- Add the butter, stir. Leave the porridge for about five minutes to make it true.
- Serve the dish in wide plates, as the semolina porridge cools for a long time. Often, grandmothers complement it with raspberry or strawberry jam, which makes the taste and appearance of the dish richer.
To get a tender and lush semolina, you can lightly whisk it with a whisk or just a spatula.
Grandma's recipe for cereal without milk
Porridge without milk is also often cooked. This was especially true in winter, when the cows-nurse went on vacation, did not finish. To improve the taste, a dish on water was supplemented with jam, nuts, dried berries and fruits were added to it. Here is a simple recipe for semolina on water with butter and sugar.
- 6 scoops of semolina;
- 3 spoons of sugar;
- 1 liter of water;
- 0.5 tsp. salts;
- 50 g butter.
Method of preparation
- Mix the water with salt and sugar, put on the stove. Boil.
- Pour the semolina into the liquid in a thin stream, and quickly stir it with the second hand. Again, give the porridge to boil, and then reduce the fire.
- Cooking semolina for about five or seven minutes, the grits should swell well.
- Turn off the stove, lay the butter, cut into pieces. Intensely stir a minute. The oil should dissolve.
- Cover the pot, leave for five minutes.
Before serving to the table and laying on plates, it is necessary to stir the porridge, bring to a uniform consistency.
How to replace whole milk
If there is no whole fresh milk, and the prospect of cooking porridge on water is not encouraging, then you can look for a replacement. When lactose intolerance is usually used plant types of milk, now there are no problems with their purchase. In addition, such a product has a long shelf life, you can always make a small supply at home. But there are cases that simply ended whole milk. This is also not a problem, there are alternative options. Depending on the product used, the recipe may vary slightly.
How to replace whole milk:
- Condensed milk. It is necessary to reduce or completely eliminate granulated sugar. Condensed milk can be mixed with water, boil porridge or add when serving dishes directly to the plate.
- Powdered milk. It is diluted with water before cooking porridge, you can do this directly in the pan, to immediately put on the stove.
- Cream. They need to be diluted with water, the amount of which depends on the fat content of the product, but not less than 60%. Next, porridge is prepared in the usual way. You can cream pour the finished dish, boiled in plain water.
Semolina is a wonderful independent dish that can become an ingredient in various desserts. Puddings, souffles, and various casseroles are made from it. But it is important to learn how to brew the right base in which there will be no lumps. Our grandmothers were able to do it.