Roll is one of the most common types of desserts. The filling can be different: from jam, cream, boiled condensed milk. The base is almost always the biscuit dough. There are a number of requirements for the basis of the roll. It should not be too porous, so that the filling could not soak it, but still gentle, soft, airy. The second requirement is elasticity: the biscuit dough for the roll after baking will need to be rolled, and it should not break or crumble. To cope with the task will knowledge of a few moments.
Biscuit dough recipes are simple, it does not require inaccessible ingredients. Prepare similar pastries quickly. However, the result does not always meet the expectations of an inexperienced cook: when you try to roll a baked cake in a roll, the base cracks and breaks. The knowledge of several features of making biscuit dough for rolls will allow you to avoid such troubles.
- Biscuit dough is whipped with a mixer at medium speed. Some hostesses first do it at low speed, then gradually increase it to medium or maximum. As a result, the finished dough has a volume that is 2-3 times larger than the volume used for its preparation of ingredients.
- Flour is added last, the dough is whipped with it for about 15 seconds. If you beat the dough for a long time or do not rush to bake it, the gluten contained in the flour will swell, the dough will become too dense and evenly distribute it will be a difficult task.
- Flour for biscuit dough must be sifted. This not only helps to rid it of small litter, but also contributes to its saturation with oxygen. Thanks to this, the sponge cake is more tender and airy.
- To make the biscuit even more airy in the dough, you can add starch, soda.
- Biscuit dough is poured into a mold, pre-stained with oiled parchment. Parchment should be used qualitative, ideally - with silicone coating, then the chances of easily removing the dough from it you will have a lot more.
- Some chefs, in order to increase the elasticity of the dough, suggest soaking the cake with syrup or liquor. This should be done carefully: if you overdo it with the amount of impregnation, the cake will be sodden and become even more fragile, unsuitable for the intended use.
- Bake the roll biscuit at a relatively low temperature of 180-200 degrees. Then he will be able to bake, not having time to burn. The oven is preheated. Baking time is usually 12-15 minutes, sometimes it can reach 20 minutes. It is important not to overdo the biscuit dough for the roll in the oven, otherwise it will dry out and will not be flexible. Experienced chefs advise to remove the dough from the oven as soon as its top layer is dry, not waiting for it to brown. The readiness of the biscuit can also be checked with the help of a toothpick: if it remains dry after dipping into the dough, the dough is cooked.
It is advisable to lubricate the finished sponge cake with a filling and roll it into a roll, without waiting for it to cool down completely. If the character of the filling does not allow to do this, then the dough is rolled up hot together with baking paper, and after cooling it is unrolled, stuffed and rolled back into roll.
Classic roll dough recipe
- wheat flour of the highest grade - 90 g;
- sugar - 90 g;
- chicken egg - 3 pcs .;
- salt - a pinch.
- Break eggs into a bowl, add a pinch of salt to them. Slightly beat with a whisk or a mixer (at minimum speed).
- Beat eggs with a mixer, gradually adding sugar until the sweet product is used all over. Increase whipping speed to medium. Beat eggs with sugar until the mass is fluffy and light. When removing the mixer rims from it, traces should remain on it.
- Sift flour.
- Put it in the dough. You need to stir in with a spoon or spatula, making vertical movements, otherwise all efforts to beat the eggs into the foam will be in vain - it will fall.
- Within 10-15 seconds, beat the dough with a mixer at low or medium speed. If you do this at high speed, bubbles may form in it, which as a result will turn into voids.
- Cover the baking sheet with baking paper, grease it with oil.
- Pour the dough on a baking sheet, level with a spatula.
- Place the baking tray in the oven preheated to 180-200 degrees. Cook the sponge cake for 12-18 minutes, observing its condition. Try not to overdry the dough without removing it from the oven in time.
Take the biscuit dough out of the oven, roll it into a roll (straight with the paper) and leave to cool completely. After you have left, roll out the dough, remove the paper, cover the biscuit with the filling and roll again.
Biscuit dough for roll with soda and starch
- chicken egg - 4 pcs .;
- icing sugar - 180 g;
- flour - 130 g;
- starch - 30 g;
- soda (quenched with lemon juice) - 5 g;
- salt - 3 g.
- Beat eggs with salt.
- Beating eggs with a mixer at medium speed, partly enter the icing sugar.
- Beat the eggs with the powder for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix sifted flour with starch.
- Stir the flour into the egg mixture without resorting to kitchen appliances (with a spoon or spatula).
- Add vinegar-extinguished soda, mix.
Next, the preparation of the biscuit is carried out according to standard technology: the dough is poured into a baked-in baking paper, put into an oven heated to 200 degrees, baked until ready, rolled up and left to cool.
Chocolate Sponge Cake Dough
- chicken egg - 3 pcs .;
- sugar - 100 g;
- flour - 100 g;
- cocoa powder - 40 g;
- honey - 20 ml;
- soda - 2-3 g.
- Mix eggs with sugar and whip at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add sifted flour and cocoa, stir them into the egg mass with a spoon.
- Add soda and honey melted to a liquid state.
- Beat dough with a mixer at medium speed for 10 seconds. Lumps in the dough should not be.
It remains to pour the dough into the prepared dish and bake. Biscuit for this recipe turns elastic: it will be able to collapse without breaking, even if it cools down in expanded form.
Biscuit dough for roll should not break when trying to roll it. To obtain the desired effect it is necessary not only to find a suitable recipe, but also to comply with the technology of cooking biscuit.