Despite the fact that dates are an “overseas” fruit, there is probably not a single person who would not try them.
Now dates can be bought not only in any supermarket, but also in the market. And both in a dried, dried look, and in the pressed. And even you can buy fresh dates.
Dates - fruits are not only tasty, but also nutritious.
Use of dates
- Dates are very high in calories. They consist of almost all carbohydrates. And sugars in them about 66 g per 100 g of product.
- In dates there are vitamins: A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, D, K, as well as trace elements: magnesium, sodium, calcium, potassium, zinc, iron, phosphorus, copper, manganese.
- Dates are recommended to be used for cardiovascular diseases, for colds, to improve the performance of the gastrointestinal tract.
Dates have another great advantage: they stay fresh for a long time and do not deteriorate. Of course, if they create suitable conditions for this.
But in order to keep them in storage, they need to be able to choose the right ones.
How to choose dates
- If the dates are packed, pay attention to the label. They should be packaged not long ago.
- Fruits should be chosen the same size, whole, without dents and cracks. If the skin in many places burst, then this indicates improper drying. This usually happens when dates are dried in special chambers at the wrong temperature. The best dates are obtained if they are dried under natural conditions in the sun.
- Good fruits are dry, without excessive moisture. And also they should not stick together in one big lump because of an excess of sugar on the surface.
- Dates should not have a putrid smell or a suspicious color.
How to store fresh dates
Fresh dates are stored in the refrigerator. Before sending them there, they are not washed. But it is recommended to put in a paper bag or wrap in paper.
Fresh dates are stored at 0 ° C. Such conditions can provide a shelf located immediately below the freezer.
In order not to miss the moment when some fruit starts to rot and spoils the entire batch, dates should be checked periodically.
If the dates at the time of shipment to the fridge were of excellent quality, then they can be stored for about two months.
How to store dried or dried dates
If the dates are packed in a plastic bag and a cardboard box, then you can leave them in it.
The box is placed in the refrigerator in the compartment for storing vegetables. There dates can be stored without loss of nutritional qualities and presentation for several months.
Dates cannot be stored in a plastic bag in which they suffocate. If they were purchased in such a container, then they are put in a plastic container or glass jar, sealed with a lid and put into the fridge.
In this form dates can be stored for about a year.
Dried dates can be stored in the freezer. They are carefully packaged in a freezer bag, well closed and frozen. Shelf life in the freezer can be several years.
How to store pressed dates
Pressed dates can be stored at room temperature, as they are processed under special conditions using pasteurization.
So that they do not dry, they are wrapped in paper or plastic bag.
Such dates are not stored in the light, so they are removed in a dark and cool place.
The shelf life of pressed dates is usually indicated on the packaging. It is believed that they can be stored for a long time, but it is better to eat them for a year.
Mistress of the note
- Before use, dry or dried dates are washed as well as all dried fruits in order to eliminate the ingestion of pathogens and dust.
- Sometimes dates are treated with chemicals so that insects do not eat them. This can tell a glossy raid on fruit. Such dates also need to be washed, and in hot water.
- If, during storage, plaques formed on the dates or they began to smell unpleasantly, they should not be eaten.