Rosemary is a classic spice. Nature gave him a sweetish aroma, reminiscent of pine smell, and a slightly pungent taste. Rosemary goes well with fish, eggs, vegetables and especially with meat dishes. It is appropriate in sauces, desserts, various fillings. In short, in the kitchen, a rosemary supply does not hurt. This also applies to fresh greens, and prepared for future use.
How to store fresh rosemary
Fresh rosemary pleases elastic and soft leaves that cling tightly to the stems. The grass is elastic and fragrant.
Rosemary is best consumed immediately after harvesting from the garden or purchase. But if it is not used at once, it is reasonable to prolong the freshness.
Greens can be saved in several ways. Each of them involves the obligatory content of rosemary in the refrigerator. It is better not to wash the grass beforehand. This should only be done immediately before cooking.
- Wrap rosemary in parchment paper.
- Using a spray bottle, moisten the grass package thoroughly. The paper should be completely soaked with water.
- Put the rosemary in a plastic bag and send it on the shelf of the refrigerator.
- Wet the towel, wring out the water so that it does not drip.
- Spread rosemary sprigs and wrap.
- Attach a towel with fresh herbs in a plastic bag.
- Ensure that the towel does not dry out. Periodically moisten it with water.
- Cut the tips (like flowers) with a knife or scissors.
- Put the bunch in a glass or a jar of cool water.
- Place a plastic bag on top.
- Check the status of the water. Every few days you need to pour fresh.
- Periodically remove moisture from rosemary leaves. This is done with a paper towel very carefully.
Rosemary is best placed in the part of the refrigerator that is least cold. The perfect place is on the door.
Using the methods described, you can keep fresh rosemary for about a month.
When the leaves darken, mold will appear on the stems - the spice can no longer be used.
How to save rosemary for the winter
Rosemary to prepare for the winter is easy. The following methods are used for herbs:
To preserve large amounts of rosemary, it is sensible to use frost:
- Rosemary wash and dry.
- Pinch off the leaves and spread them out on a dish, baking tray, and a board.
- Send to freezer for several hours.
- Frozen rosemary packaged in sealed bags and stored in the freezer.
Rosemary preserved in this way loses its external freshness, but the aroma and taste of the spice remain invariably different.
Herbal plant frozen in oil:
- Clean rosemary leaves are cut and laid in an ice mold.
- The butter is melted on the stove, and after cooling it is poured onto the grass.
- The form is cleaned in the freezer.
The more oil is added, the richer the rosemary flavor will be. In winter, they can season vegetables, baked potatoes, and chicken. Fragrant cubes are successfully used in the preparation of your favorite dishes. Rosemary in frozen form lasts up to eight months.
Drying rosemary is also easy. It is enough to divide it into small bunches, tie the stems and hang for several days in a warm place.
Dry sprigs of rosemary should be put in a bag, tied or closed and rubbed between the palms. With this movement, the leaves will detach from the stems. The latter must be removed. Rosemary in dried form is stored in an airtight container for at least six months.
Storage in sea salt
A spicy plant can be saved by turning it into an aromatic salt:
- The leaves of rosemary should be carefully separated from the stems and mixed with sea salt. Make it better with a blender. For every ten stems of grass will need 80-90 g of salt.
- Stop the blender after the salt has turned green.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with baking paper.
- Sprinkle the salt mixture in a thin layer. Flatten it.
- Send to the oven (110 degrees) for a quarter of an hour.
- Mix the mixture in clean jars, close tightly and store in a dry and dark place.
The result is flavored salt, which is an ideal seasoning for salads, powder for unsweetened baking.
Rosemary is a very unusual spice. Its taste can not be assessed immediately. But if you get used to rosemary, it will be difficult to do without its coniferous and pleasant aroma. Spice turns any dish into a bright, rich and unique.