Pork knuckle is part of the ham that is mainly made up of muscles and connective tissue.
As a rule, it is cooked in the oven, but the shank in the slow cooker turns out to be much tastier and more fragrant.
From the article you will learn how to cook shank, as well as the secrets of how to do it, so that the meat is tender.
Pork knuckle in a multicooker - the basic principles of cooking
The slow cooker today is simply an indispensable helper for many housewives, because with its help you can cook quite quickly any dish.
Shin in the crock-pot turns out much tastier than the purchased ham. It is prepared for the festive table a whole piece, or served as a snack, cut into chunks.
Pens also suitable for everyday menus. Pork knuckle can be served as an addition to a side dish, or used to make sandwiches.
Shank in a slow cooker is prepared simply by putting it in a bowl, either in a sleeve or foil. Therefore, it is important to choose a piece of pork that could fit in the bowl of the slow cooker. Before cooking, it must be rubbed with spices. They take salt and black pepper as a basis, but you can choose the spices that you like. Garlic and dried herbs will be a nice addition. For the preparation of a more refined treat, the shank is kept in a special marinade.
It is prepared on the basis of wine, olive oil or beer. Onions, mustard, fresh greens, lemon juice, mayonnaise, any spices and seasonings are added to it. Depending on the ingredients of the marinade, the knuckle taste can vary from salty to sweet.
The best spices for cooking knuckle: cumin, paprika, rosemary, red pepper, basil, etc.
Stewed or boiled vegetables are best as a side dish.
Recipe 1. Shin in a multi-cooked with spices in honey marinade
- two-kilogram fresh pork knuckle;
- red hot pepper;
- six cloves of garlic;
- two pinches of black pepper;
- 30 g dried rosemary;
- 30 g of fine salt;
- 30 g of juniper;
- 25 grams of buckwheat honey;
- juice and zest of half a lemon;
- 50 ml of olive oil.
1. Wash it thoroughly in warm water, put it in a deep bowl and pour cold water for two hours. Then we wash it again and thoroughly clean the skin with a sharp knife.
2. Clean the cloves of garlic and pass through the garlic press. Add rosemary, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice, black pepper and juniper to garlic. Carefully mash the ingredients, then add olive oil and honey. Stir.
3. Rub the pork knuckle with the marinade, trying to do this both outside and between the fibers and under the skin. Wrap the knuckle with cling film and leave it in the fridge overnight.
4. Release the knuckle from the film and place it in the bowl of the device. Pour in about half a cup of boiled water. Tightly close the slow cooker and turn on the “Quenching” program for four hours. Periodically turn the meat in the cooking process.
5. Cool the finished knuckle, cut into chunks and lay out on a dish.
Recipe 2. Pork in a slow cooker in a beer
- kg of pork shank;
- 5 cloves of garlic;
- bay leaf - 2 pieces;
- 30 g mustard;
- three onions;
- black pepper;
- liter of dark beer;
- 3 g cloves;
- 30 g of honey.
1. Wash the pork knuckle and soak in cold water for a couple of hours. Then scrape it with a knife, wash and dry again with paper napkins. Transfer the knuckle to the multicooker container.
2. Fill the meat with beer. Ships add peeled whole onions and peeled garlic cloves.
3. Peel the carrots, cut them into large pieces and put them in a multicooker container. Add salt, cloves, pepper and bay leaf.
4. Close the device tightly with the lid and turn on the “Quenching” mode for three hours.
5. Remove the cooked pork from the multicooker and cool.
6. In a separate plate, combine the honey with two spoons of beer broth and mustard. Stir well.
7. Coat the resulting mixture coat on all sides. Place the multicooker in the bowl and activate the baking function. Fry the meat until crusty on all sides.
Recipe 3. Pork knuckle in a slow cooker with soy sauce
- purified water;
- kilogram pork knuckle;
- 25 g of salt;
- 10 black peppercorns;
- bay leaf;
- a glass of red semi-sweet wine;
- six cloves of garlic;
- 120 ml of soy sauce.
1. Thoroughly rinse the knuckle under running water, then scrape with a sharp knife or brush. Put the prepared knuckle into the multicooker container.
2. Peel carrots, wash and cut into large bars. Onion peel and cut into four parts.
3. Put carrots and onions around the knuckle. Add pepper peas and bay leaf. Salt and pour boiled water so that its level is one centimeter above the meat.
4. Close the lid tightly. The valve is set to “Closed” mode. Cook shank forty minutes.
5. Remove pork and vegetables from broth. Broth can strain and use for cooking soup.
6. Peel garlic cloves, cut each in half lengthwise. Nashigovat halves of garlic shredded.
7. Return the knuckle to the multicooker container, pour a glass into it and add soy sauce. Close the lid and set the “Baking” mode for half an hour. Turn the meat over and activate the “Frying” mode for a quarter of an hour. Do not close the lid so that excess moisture will evaporate and the sauce thickens. Get the cooked knuckle, cut into slices and pour over the sauce.
Recipe 4. Pork knuckle in a slow cooker in foil
- pork knuckle - 1.5 kg;
- drinking water;
- two carrots;
- sea salt - 25 g;
- two onions;
- a pair of garlic cloves;
- two bay leaves;
- a large bunch of fresh green onions;
- seven black peppercorns;
- 30 g mustard.
1. Wash the coil in warm water. Then soak it in the cold for a couple of hours. Then carefully scrape the knuckle with a sharp knife or brush.
2. Onion and carrot clean, wash and cut in half.
3. Place the knuckle in the container of the device and fill it with water so that it completely covers the meat. Here send the onion and carrot, bay leaf and peppercorns. Salt and turn on the “Quenching” program for three hours. 4. Remove the meat product from the multicooker and cool it slightly. Remove vegetables, strain the broth, and use for cooking soups or borscht.
5. Cut the cold knuckle lengthwise and “open” it. Take out the bone, and lay the meat on a sheet of foil skin down. Smear meat with mustard and squeeze garlic on it. Rinse green onions and chop finely. Sprinkle the meat with chopped green onions and season with your favorite spices. Fold in a roll and wrap in foil.
6. Place the meat in the foil into the container of the device, close the lid tightly and activate the “Baking” mode for half an hour. Periodically turn the meat to roast it from all sides.
7. Take out the knuckle, unfold the foil and cool. Cut into chunks and place on a platter. Serve with a side dish or as a side dish.
Recipe 5. Gentle pork knuckle in a slow cooker
- pork knuckle - 350 g;
- sea salt;
- ground black pepper;
- seven cloves of garlic;
- 80 ml of vegetable oil.
1. Thoroughly wash the pork shank under the tap. If necessary, clean it with a sharp knife or brush. Cut the knuckle along and carefully remove the bone.
2. We clean the garlic from the husk and pass through the press, leaving a couple of cloves intact.
3. We lay the knuckle on the table skin down and rub the meat with chopped garlic with pepper and salt.
4. Clean and wash carrots. Dry and cut into oblong bars.
5. Cut the remaining chives of garlic into slices. Season meat with garlic and carrots. We turn the knuckle into a roll and tie it with a twine. Top roll rubbed with spices and salt.
6. Pour some oil into the multicooker tank, activate the “frying” function and heat it up. We spread the knuckle and fry on both sides, constantly turning the meat so that it is evenly covered with a golden crust.
7. Switch the mode to “Quenching” and prepare the knuckle for three hours by closing the lid. We remove the cooked knuckle from the multicooker, cut it into slices, spread it on a dish and decorate it with fresh greens.
Recipe 6. Spicy pork knuckle in a slow cooker
- pork knuckle - kg;
- two hot pepper pods;
- black pepper;
- 5 g paprika;
- two bay leaves;
- rosemary branch;
- garlic - two cloves.
1. Scrape the knuckle with a knife, rinse thoroughly under a tap and put multicookers in the pan.
2. Clean the carrots, wash and send them there.
3. Wash the bulb, but do not peel it. Put to the knuckle. Add a sprig of rosemary and bay leaf.
4. Pour the contents of the pan with water to the maximum mark. Close the appliance lid and turn on the “Slow Cook” program for six hours.
5. Peel the garlic and pass through the garlic press. Free hot peppers from the stem and seeds. Mehlenh crumble.
6. In a separate plate, combine the garlic with pepper, paprika, salt and hot pepper. Mix thoroughly.
7. Remove the knuckle, cool and cut along. Carefully remove the bone, unfold and evenly spread the garlic sauce. Fold the roll tightly, place in a bowl, set the pressure on top and send to the refrigerator for five hours.
Pork knuckle in a multi-cooker - tips and tricks
- Before roasting, it is recommended to soak the knuckle in cold water for two hours.
- Broth, which remains from cooking shank, can be used for aspic.
- To make the knuckle soft and juicy, marinate it for at least six hours.
- Choose a knuckle with less fat and more meat.
- The sliced pork knuckle before serving can be poured over the juice that was formed during baking.