Rabbit meat is considered dietary meat. It is useful, well digested, does not contain a lot of fat and has a low energy value. Both supporters of healthy food and gourmets gladly include dishes from this product in the menu. However, some housewives doubt whether it is possible to fry a kebab out of it, whether it will not work dry. In fact, it all depends on how well the recipe of the sauce for marinating rabbit meat is chosen. A marinade for a rabbit shish kebab should not only soften the meat fibers well, but also make the meat juicy and also mask the specific smell. There are quite a few variants of such compositions, so everyone can find one that will meet his gastronomic preferences.
In order for the rabbit skewers to be tasty, juicy and fragrant, you need to know and take into account several important points.
- For kebabs, it is better to choose the meat of a young rabbit that has not been subjected to freezing, otherwise the dish may come out hard and dry.
- Rabbit's meat has a specific smell, so before cooking it is often soaked in acidified water. The solution is prepared from table vinegar (9 percent), diluted with water. Per liter of water, it is enough to take a tablespoon of an acidic product. Meat in this solution is kept for 1-2 hours. If the rabbit meat was soaked in an acidified solution before marinating, the time for keeping it in the marinade can be reduced by 30-60 minutes.
- Marinades for rabbit meat are usually made from acidic foods, but lemon or orange juice, kefir and similar ingredients are considered preferable to vinegar. They soften the meat quite well, without giving it a sour taste. Vinegar is used if you want to marinate rabbit quickly.
- In the marinade for rabbit skewers prepared with the addition of aromatic herbs, the task of which is to kill the specific smell. Rosemary, thyme, basil, dill, oregano, bay leaf, coriander, mixtures of Provencal or Italian herbs are especially good.
- Meat on shish kebab is not recommended to marinate in an aluminum dish. This material comes in contact with acids, forming harmful substances.
- Stir meat with sauce preferably with your hands. Then the marinade will evenly cover each piece.
Before marinating, rabbit meat must be divided into portioned pieces. If the pieces weigh about 50 g, they marinate for at least 3-4 hours. There will be no big trouble if you leave the rabbit in the marinade overnight, especially if you use a soft marinade with a low content of acids.
Marinade for rabbit skewers with mayonnaise
- rabbit meat - 2, 5 kg;
- onions - 1 kg;
- apple cider vinegar (6%) - 100 ml;
- mayonnaise - 100 ml;
- Provencal herbs - 20 g;
- table mustard - 5 ml;
- salt - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Wash meat, peel off films, remove other excess areas. Cut rabbit pieces into pieces weighing about 50 g. Put in a container in which you will marinate it on a shish kebab.
- Free the onions from the husk, cut into rings about 3 mm thick.
- Sprinkle the onion with salt and remember it well, so that he pours the juice.
- In a separate container, mix mustard with mayonnaise. Add vinegar to this mixture, mix.
- Sprinkle the pieces of rabbit with herbs, mix them with your hands so that the fragrant mixture covers each piece of meat.
- Place the marinade cooked with meat, mix the products.
- Put the onion to the rabbit, mix the ingredients again.
Marinade contains a significant amount of onion and vinegar, which softens the meat fibers well, so it will be possible to fry the rabbit cooked in it in 3-4 hours. Mayonnaise will make the kebab juicy, mustard will give it a savory flavor.
Orange marinade for rabbit kebab
- rabbit meat - 3 kg;
- oranges - 1 kg;
- apple cider vinegar (6%) - 50 ml;
- juniper berries - 30 g;
- ground coriander - 5 g;
- soy sauce - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Prepare the meat by washing it, dried and cut into pieces suitable for frying kebabs.
- Wash oranges, cut in half. Using a citrus juicer, squeeze the juice from the halves of the fruit. You can squeeze the juice with your hands, but then you have to take more fruit than indicated in the recipe, so that the output will be at least 0.6 liter of juice.
- Mix orange juice with soy sauce and vinegar.
- Add chopped juniper berries and coriander to chopped rabbit. Stir.
- Pour the orange marinade over the rabbit and put it in the fridge.
The orange marinade acts softly, so you need to keep the rabbit meat in it for at least 8 hours, otherwise the kebab will come out harsh.
Marinade for rabbit skewers with kefir and lemon
- rabbit - 3-3, 5 kg;
- kefir - 1 l;
- onions - 0, 2 kg;
- lemons - 0, 5 kg;
- bay leaf - 2-3 pcs .;
- a mixture of peppers, salt - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Prepare the rabbit. Put the meat in a container for marinating kebabs.
- Sprinkle the rabbit with salt and pepper, and mix it with your hands so that the spices are evenly distributed.
- Peel the onions. Grate it or grind with a blender. Put onion puree in a clean bowl.
- Squeeze juice out of lemons, grate zest from them. And juice and zest send to chopped onions, mix.
- Turned gruel up to rabbit, mix it with your hands.
- Fill the meat with kefir, preferably with a fat content of at least 2.5 percent.
- Place laurel leaves on top.
- Cover the container with the rabbit lid or plate, set the pressure on the top.
Marinating rabbit in kefir-lemon marinade should be 6-8 hours. Most often it is marinated in the evening, if they want to barbecue it in the morning. Having marinated a rabbit in the morning, you can kindle a fire and cook a brazier after dinner.
Rabbit meat is considered a dietary product, but you can make a soft and juicy kebab out of it. The main thing is to choose a suitable marinade and properly marinate rabbit meat in it.