Many Caucasian cuisine dishes are popular all over the world due to their rich taste, unique aroma, satiety and benefits. Khashlama, which is meat and vegetables stewed in its own juice, should also be included among these dishes. Impregnated with the aroma of each other, herbs and spices, vegetables and meat in Khashlama are especially tasty. In this dish exudes so seductive aroma that it is impossible to resist.
If you think that Khashlama is a common vegetable stew with meat, you are deeply mistaken. The peculiarities of Khashlama include the fact that vegetables and meat are stacked in a certain sequence in layers and do not mix in the cooking process. In order for the dish to have the most harmonious taste and seductive aroma, you need to lay out the ingredients in the order specified in a specific recipe.
- Khashlama has other cooking features that you need to know about if you want to make a dish that is as close as possible to traditional Caucasian khashlama.
- Meat for Hashlama, you can take any, as long as it was fresh and high quality. However, preference is still given to the meat of young animals, since it is the most tender and juicy. Old meat will be cooked for a long time, but as a result it will still remain rude.
- How finely chopped meat depends on the recipe and preferences of the hostess. In some cases, the meat is not cut at all before cooking, it is put in a cauldron in a large piece on the bone. However, in this case, the preparation of khashlama takes a very long time, so most housewives still prefer to cut the meat into pieces of medium size, a little smaller than the kebab. Vegetables, too, cut not too small.
- If you want your Hashlama to be flawless, you must cut and peel the tomatoes before adding to the dish.
- Khashlama is not a soup, do not use too much water to make it. Usually requires a glass of water per 1 kg of meat used. Due to this, it turns out that meat is stewed in its own juice, due to which it turns out to be especially tasty and fragrant.
- To make Hashlama, you will need a cauldron or saucepan with a thick bottom and walls. In it, products are well saturated with spices. In the absence of suitable dishes, you can use the crock-pot. Given that during the quenching of the Hashlama is still not mixed, this unit is ideal for cooking this dish.
Khashlama is popular throughout the Caucasus, and every nation prepares it in its own way. There is no single recipe for this dish. Therefore, the intricacies of cooking Khashlama may depend on the recipe used. Carefully reading the instructions accompanying the recipe, you will not allow mistakes and prepare a truly tasty and fragrant khashlama that will surely please your family members and guests of your house.
- lamb - 1 kg (if the meat is on the bone, it will need one and a half times more);
- sweet pepper - 1 kg;
- tomatoes - 0, 8 kg;
- onions - 0, 6 kg;
- carrots - 0, 3 kg;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- dry red wine - 0, 25 l;
- fresh cilantro, dill and parsley - 100 g;
- salt, pepper - to taste;
- water - 0, 2 liters.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the lamb and dry it. Cut into pieces of 4-5 cm. If the meat is on the bone, it can not be cut into pieces, but then it should be borne in mind that it will take at least 3 hours to cook.
- Wash the tomatoes. On each fruit, on the opposite side of the stem, make a cross-cut with a sharp knife. Boil the water, dip the tomatoes in it. Blanch them for 2 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water using a skimmer and lower it for a few minutes into a container filled with cold water. Take out and clean. Using a sharp knife, cut the tomatoes into circles.
- Peel the bulbs. Half of them cut into large rings or halves of rings. Cut the remaining onion into small cubes.
- Peel and chop the carrots using a grater, using the side with large holes.
- At the peppers, cut the stalk. Remove the seeds. Cut the peppers into rings or long, but not too thin strips along.
- Place onion rings on the bottom of the cauldron and place the meat on them. Salt and season to taste.
- Put a layer of pepper on the meat and place the tomatoes on it.
- Finely chop the garlic. Mix it with the remaining onion and grated carrots. Cover the dish with this mixture.
- Pour water into the cauldron, then wine.
- Cover the cauldron with a lid and place it on the stove. Stew meat with vegetables for 2 hours. If you have not cut it, increase the cooking time by one and a half to two times depending on the size of the piece of meat.
Chop the greens and mix. Sprinkle it with lamb khashlama before serving.
- veal (preferably on bone) - 1 kg;
- onions - 0, 5 kg;
- sweet pepper - 0, 5 kg;
- tomatoes - 0.5 kg;
- carrots - 0, 2 kg;
- fresh parsley, basil and tarragon - 100 g;
- carnation - 5 pcs .;
- allspice peas - 10 pcs .;
- water - 0, 25 l;
- dry red wine - 0, 2 l;
- salt, black pepper, spicy herbs - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Wash and dry the meat. Divide it into several not too large pieces. Rub them with pepper and dried herbs.
- Peel and dice onions into large cubes.
- Cut the peeled carrots into strips or small bricks.
- Boil the tomatoes and peel. Remove the seal in the stalk area. Cut into slices.
- Pepper Wash. Remove the stalks and seeds. Cut into large strips or half rings.
- Finely chop the greens.
- Dilute wine with boiled water.
- Place about half of the prepared onion on the bottom of the cauldron.
- Put the meat on the onion, cover it with pepper.
- Place slices of tomato on the pepper.
- Put the remaining onions on the tomatoes.
- Put the carrot in the last layer.
- Fill everything with a mixture of water and wine, put the stew for 2-2, 5 hours.
- For half an hour until cooked, add pepper and cloves, half greens.
Sprinkle the finished khashlama with the remaining greens before putting it on the table.
- turkey drumstick fillets - 0.5 kg;
- red bell pepper - 0, 7 kg;
- garlic - 1 head;
- tomatoes - 1 kg;
- zucchini - 0, 3 kg;
- carrots - 0, 2 kg;
- onions - 0, 3 kg;
- wine vinegar (3 percent) - 100 ml;
- water - 0, 2 l;
- salt, herbs, dry spices - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Rinse the turkey meat and blot with a towel. Cut into pieces of about 3-4 cm.
- Cut the garlic into small pieces.
- Finely chop the greens with a knife.
- Divide both greens and garlic into two parts, mixing them together.
- Peel tomatoes and cut into medium sized cubes.
- Onion cut not too thin rings. If the bulbs are large, you can cut them into halves of the rings.
- Peel the zucchini. Cut along, spoon remove the seeds. Pulp cut into small cubes.
- Cut the carrots into thin circles or medium-sized bars, after cleaning and washing them.
- Dilute vinegar with water. Mix with salt and dry spices.
- Place onions on the bottom of a thick-walled pot, and carrots on it.
- In the next layer, lay out the turkey pieces.
- Put the pepper, then the zucchini. Top with tomatoes.
- Pour diluted vinegar.
- Cover the pot with a lid and send to the stove.
- After one hour, add one part of the mixture of garlic and greens. Continue to stew the dish for another half hour. Do not stir it.
Spread Khashlama on plates, sprinkle with the remaining mixture of greens and garlic. Serve hot. Cold khashlama will not be sufficiently fragrant, the taste of the dish will become less saturated.
Khashlama according to any of the above recipes can be prepared in a slow cooker. To do this, select the “Quenching” program and start it at the maximum time provided by the manufacturer of the kitchen unit. After that, leave the khashlama in heating mode for at least half an hour.
Khashlama is prepared quite simply, although not quickly. However, waiting for so long you will not be in vain: an aromatic Caucasian dish with a rich taste, in which the taste of meat, sweet pepper, tomatoes, onions and carrots harmoniously intertwine, will make an indelible impression on you and everyone who will eat it.