Armenian Khashlama is a very interesting oriental dish of meat and vegetables.
It looks like a stew, but it is cooked a little differently, simpler, requires minimal participation, and it’s nourishing, fragrant and very appetizing.
Armenian Hashlama - general principles of preparation
Traditional Khashlama is always cooked with meat: lamb, beef, but you can use pork, more and more recipes with poultry. Meat and other products are placed in a cauldron or thick-walled pot in layers in a certain sequence. Sometimes the meat is fried to give the dish a rich taste.
What is put into Khashlama:
All vegetables are added in large quantities. There are recipes of Hashlama with mushrooms, various fruits, including dry ones. For taste and aroma, garlic is added, various spices, you can use a ready-made mixture of hops-suneli or seasonings for meat, vegetables, stews.
A traditional dish stewed in its juice, but not necessarily. Often add liquid to it. There are interesting recipes with beer, wine. But ordinary water or broth (meat, mushroom) also fit. It is desirable that the amount of water does not exceed 120-150 ml per kilogram of products.
Armenian Hashlama with mutton and wine
The recipe for the simplest Khashlama in Armenian. Wine can be used any dry, color does not matter.
• 1 kg of mutton;
• 2 large carrots;
• 400 g onions;
• 0.5 glasses of wine;
• 500 grams of tomatoes;
• 200 g of bell pepper;
• pepper, salt.
1. Cut the onion into large half-rings, separate half and place on the bottom of the pan with a thick bottom or in a cauldron, which is better.
2. Cut the beef with bones in small pieces. Pour wine, season with salt and pepper, measure well and grind, put on top of the onion layer.
3. Cut the pepper into large pieces, cover the meat. 4. Now comes the second part of the onion, seasoning the layer with salt.
5. Cut the carrot into strips, large enough. Fall asleep onions.
6. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water, peel and cut into small pieces. Close all ingredients with the resulting tomato.
7. Sideways in a cauldron 0.5 cups of water, no longer needed, as the dish should be stewed in its juice.
8. Cover cauldron, simmer vegetables with lamb for about three hours. After 2 hours, you can open, gently push the layers, see the meat. Eating a lamb young, this time may be enough.
Armenian Hashlama with potatoes
The recipe for nourishing khashlama in Armenian with potatoes. Dishes get a lot, take a large cauldron. But if you wish, you can reduce the number of products in half.
• 1.5 kg of beef or pork;
• 1 kg of potatoes;
• 1 kg of sweet pepper;
• 1 lemon;
• 700 grams of carrots and onions;
• 1 kg of tomatoes;
• 5 spoons of butter;
• 6 cloves of garlic;
• 1 tbsp. l hops suneli;
• 1 cup of boiling water;
• salt, greens.
1. Cut the meat into pieces, as for kebabs, about forty grams. Add hops-suneli to it, squeeze juice from lemon, mix.
2. At the bottom of the cauldron pour vegetable oil, put the meat, fry for ten minutes without a lid, just during this time you can cook all the other products.
3. Cut the onion and carrot into strips and also pepper. Chop the garlic, boil the tomatoes, peel, cut into circles or slices. Peel the whole potato, cut it into quarters. If the tubers are large, then it is possible for 6-8 parts.
4. Salt the meat, pour in carrots, make the minimum fire. Stir the dish is not necessary.
5. Put the onion on top of the carrot. Then the potato pieces, sweet pepper. Season all layers with salt, pepper, sprinkle potatoes with chopped garlic.
6. From above we put the cut tomatoes without skin.
7. Pour in the side a glass of boiling water, cover the cauldron, leave the dish to stew for two hours.
8. When serving to the table, sprinkle with plenty of greens on Khashlama.
Armenian Hashlama with beer
Another recipe for lamb khashlama. Use ribs. To fill the best is to take a good live beer, it will get tastier. Ingredients
• 800 g of mutton ribs;
• 700 g of potatoes;
• 1.5 glasses of beer;
• 500 g onions;
• 300 g of sweet pepper;
• 2 carrots;
• 500 grams of tomatoes;
• seasonings, greens.
1. Rinse ribs, cut into pieces, throw in a cauldron. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Cut the onion into half rings, fill in the ribs in the cauldron, put the carrot circles on top.
3. Peel the potatoes, cut into large pieces, lay out with a new layer, and sprinkle with spices.
4. Next comes the Bulgarian pepper, then the tomatoes.
5. You can sprinkle the dish on top with dry greens.
6. Pour fresh beer on the edge of the cauldron.
7. Cover, put on the stove, cook under the lid for 2.5 hours.
8. As soon as khashlama boils, you need to reduce the heat to a minimum.
Armenian Hashlama with eggplants and veal
Eggplants are often present in this dish, but not always tasty. Since the vegetable has an unusual taste, it is better to pre-fry it.
• 500 g veal;
• 3-4 spoons of oil;
• 3-4 ripe tomatoes;
• 200 g onion, pepper;
• 1 large carrot;
• 500 g of eggplants;
• 4 cloves of garlic.
1. Eggplants cut lengthwise into two halves, then across across 2-3 parts, depending on their length. Cover with salt, leave for a quarter of an hour.
2. Then rinse, squeeze the eggplants.
3. Take a wide pan, grease with oil, put on fire. Warm up well, lay out the eggplants, fry on each side on maximum heat for a minute.
4. Pour the remaining oil into the cauldron or into the pot.
5. Cut the veal into pieces of about 30 grams, sprinkle with spices, salt, mix and put in a cauldron.
6. Cut the onions and carrots, send after the veal.
7. Now lay out the previously fried eggplant.
8. Chop the garlic, sprinkle on top.
9. Bulgarian pepper cut into large half rings, put on top of eggplants with garlic.
10. Now the tomatoes. You can cut into slices, circles or small cubes, without a difference. Put on top.
11. Pour in some water. Enough half a glass, then the vegetables will empty the juice, will be stewed in it. Cooking exactly 2 hours.
Armenian Hashlama with mushrooms and chicken
Mushrooms are used for this aromatic dish. But in the Armenian Khashlama, you can add other mushrooms at your discretion.
• 0.8 kg chicken;
• 0.4 kg of mushrooms;
• 4 onions;
• 4 tomatoes;
• a pair of carrots;
• a pair of peppers;
• 3-4 potatoes;
• oil, garlic, seasonings.
1. Cut the chicken into portions, the breast for this dish is not suitable, take the pieces with the skin.
2. Pour a little oil into the cauldron, we toss the bird and begin to fry.
3. Shred the onion, cut the carrot into crumbs, add to the slightly browned bird, fry together.
4. Cut the champignons in quarters, put them in the pan, turn on high heat and fry for about five minutes.
5. We clean under the cauldron fire. We spread the layers: chopped potatoes, fried mushrooms, bell peppers and tomatoes. All sprinkle with spices.
6. Stick a few cloves of garlic.
7. Pour 200 ml of water from the edge. Stew until ready 40-50 minutes.
Khashlama in Armenian with quince
Sometimes quince in this recipe is replaced by sour apples, which is also possible, but the taste will be slightly different.
• 1 kg of meat;
• 300 g quince;
• 300 g onions;
• 280 ml of beer;
• 1 large carrot;
• 3 peppers;
• 4-5 tomatoes;
• 800 g of potatoes.
1. Cut the meat, lay in a cauldron with a small amount of oil, put on the fire and lightly browned.
2. Cut all the vegetables into large pieces. Quince cut into slices.
3. Salt roasted meat, pepper, cover with sliced quince, put tomatoes on top.
4. Now comes the onions, then the potatoes, fall asleep with carrots and pepper. Do not forget to season all the layers with salt, you can sprinkle with pepper, chopped garlic.
5. Pour in the beer, cover, stew the dish for 1.5 hours until ready.
Khashlama in Armenian in a multicooker
In a slow cooker, the dish is also excellent stew, will we cook it with pork? Use either pulp or ribs. The quantity of products we take at our discretion.
Ingredients • pork;
• Sweet pepper;
• garlic and other spices;
• big beer mug.
1. In a slow cooker, you can cook just a stew, but it is better to pre-fry the meat. Cut into pieces of pork, throw in a bowl with a spoon of butter, cook in baking mode until lightly crusted.
2. Eggplants cut large, fry for a minute on each side in a pan.
3. The rest of the vegetables just cut.
4. Add onions to the meat, fry a little and switch the multicooker saucepan to the stewing program.
5. Now lay out the layers: carrot, potato, eggplant, garlic, pepper, tomatoes on top. Do not forget to salt, pepper.
6. Add beer. Or we use broth, water, wine, but it needs less or diluted with another liquid.
7. Cover, set for two hours, put the dish on the fire mode to full readiness.
Armenian Hashlama - useful tips and tricks
• It is not necessary to cook an Armenian dish on the stove, you can use the oven for this purpose. It is necessary to put all the products in a refractory dish, in any cauldron or in a large clay pot, put in the oven for 2-2.5 hours. The temperature for Khashlama is average around 180.
• Young and small potatoes can not be cut, add to the dish as a whole.
• It is not necessary to add a lot of liquid to the cauldron, especially when using juicy vegetables. Their moisture will be enough to extinguish.