Bilberry grows mainly in the northern regions. This low shrub with blue-black berries found in spruce, pine and mixed forests. When kept pace with blueberries, know a lot about it as much as people try to collect it is possible to eat and fresh, and prepare for the future.
Medicinal properties of blueberries are known for a long time. It has anti-inflammatory and hemostatic action. Due to the presence of tannins blueberries use as an astringent for diarrhea. It contains vitamins C, A and B, as well as magnesium, calcium and manganese.
Blueberries used in the treatment of the gastrointestinal tract, gastritis, skin diseases, anemia. But most of all it is known as a berry improves eyesight. It helps to quickly remove eye fatigue, especially under artificial light.
Of course, it is best to eat blueberries fresh. But as in the northern parts of summer comes to an end very quickly, housewives are trying to prepare the berries in a compote or jam.
blueberry jam: cooking subtleties
- Blueberries are very tender and juicy, so they must be carefully collected. It is advisable to collect in dry weather and on the same day processing of their produce. To further speed up the process of sorting, do not need to break off the green, wrinkled or poklovannye berries birds.
- only ripe berries are suitable for jam. Unripe fruits worsen the taste of jam, overripe and make him look like a jam.
- Before cooking blueberries again sorted out, removing the mashed berries and other debris. blueberry juice strongly Mara hand, so it's best to work in thin rubber gloves.
- Wash it in plenty of water, put it in a colander and immerse it several times in a bowl of cold water. You can also wash the berries under the weak pressure of water from the shower.
- To keep the berries intact during heat treatment, they are poured into sugar syrup, kept for a while and then boiled. In order to obtain a jam of almost uniform consistency, the berries are ground with a cooking pestle or in a blender before cooking.
- To preserve most of the vitamins, blueberries try not to subject them to long-term heat treatment.
- Ripe blueberries are a rather sweet berry, so the optimal amount of sugar is 500 g per 1 kg of berries. But lovers of sweet desserts can put sugar to your liking.
Blueberry Jam: Recipe One
- blueberries - 1 kg;
- sugar - 800 g;
- water - 1, 5 st.
- Bilberry sort out. Fill with cold water and rinse well. Water with garbage drain. Water again. Clean blueberries in a colander or strainer, rinse under the shower, trying not to knead the berries with your hands.
- Leave on a sieve to drain off water, but for no more than 10 minutes, otherwise blueberry juice will also begin to drain with water.
- Pour water in a saucepan according to the norm, add sugar. Put on the stove and over medium heat bring the water and sugar to a boil. Boil the syrup for at least five minutes. After that, it is advisable to strain it in order to avoid the appearance in the syrup of fibers from the bag and other debris. If the syrup is transparent, you can skip this step.
- Pour the prepared syrup into the cooking basin or enamel pan. Bring to the boil again.
- Dip blueberries in syrup. Gently mix with a wooden spatula. Wait for the simmering of the jam over low heat. Be sure to remove the skimmer foam. Let the jam boil for 5-7 minutes, then increase the heat and, avoiding vigorous boiling, cook another 20-30 minutes.
- Put some blueberry syrup on a cold saucer. If in the cooled form it does not spread in different directions, then the jam is ready.
- Jam can be packaged in two ways - cold and hot. If you want to cork it tightly, then prepare pre-sterile jars. To do this, first wash them with soda, rinse with water. Then sterilize in a convenient way for you: over steam, in the oven, in the microwave. Turn the heated jars on a towel and let dry. Pour hot jam into dry jars, wait 5-10 minutes and then hermetically seal with sterile caps. Turn the jars upside down and let the jam cool in this position.
- If you intend to close the jam with parchment, then leave it in the pelvis until it cools completely. Spread cold jam in clean, dry jars and cover with paper.
Five Minute Blueberry Jam
- blueberries - 1 kg;
- sugar - 600 g.
- For jam, pick ripe blueberries. Remove twigs, debris, and unripe berries.
- Rinse thoroughly in several waters or in the shower. Let the water drain by putting the berries on a sieve.
- Put the blueberries in a cooking basin or enamel pan. Pour sugar. Leave for 3 hours. During this time, blueberries will give the juice and dissolve some of the sugar.
- Put the basin on a small fire, bring the berries with sugar to a boil. Use skimmer to remove the foam that appears. After boiling, boil the jam for 5 minutes.
- Place the basin on the edge of the plate and let the jam cool.
- While it cools, sterilize the jars with lids. Drain them, turning on a towel.
- Put the bowl of berries on the fire again. Boil the jam for another 5 minutes.
- When hot, place in jars. Immediately close the lids. Cool it down.
Blueberry jam: third recipe
- blueberries - 4 tbsp .;
- sugar - 1, 5 tbsp.
- Sort out the ripe blueberries, remove the garbage and green berries.
- Rinse under running water or in a basin. Put on a sieve so that the berries dry a little.
- Fold the blueberries in a saucepan and heat them to very low heat until softened and extract the juice.
- Put the sugar, stir. Bring to a boil, removing the foam.
- Continue cooking for a few more minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Cool the jam.
- Prepack it in sterile jars, close with parchment or capron lids.
Blueberry jam without cooking
- blueberries - 1 kg;
- sugar - 1, 5 kg.
- For jam made according to this recipe, take ripe or slightly overripe blueberries. Go through them, removing trash, twigs and bad berries.
- Rinse thoroughly in cold water, changing it several times. Allow the liquid to drain by placing the berries on a sieve. Leave literally for 5 minutes, so that blueberries do not have time to be washed and put on juice.
- Mix the blueberries with sugar, put it in the blender bowl. Grind to a state of mashed potatoes. You should not use a meat grinder for this case, since the metal parts contribute to the destruction of vitamin C, which blueberries are so rich with. If there is no blender, you can knead the berries in the old fashioned way - in a mortar or bowl, armed with the usual wooden tolkushkoy.
- Spread the “raw” blueberry jam in sterile dry jars, close the nylon covers.
Mistress to note
Hermetically sealed blueberry jam is stored in a dark place at room temperature.
Jam, closed nylon covers, stored in a cool dry place without access of light or in the refrigerator.
Jam without cooking is stored only in the refrigerator. Five-minute jam is best closed with tight lids so that it does not sour.