Puff pastry is used to make croissants, puffs, tongues, volovanov and other pastries. It can be bland or yeast. Dough products mixed with yeast are less layered, but softer and lush. Yeast puff pastry is made by a special technology, it requires patience and time. Many housewives, wanting to save their strength, buy it in the store. But experienced cooks say: having mastered the process of making puff pastry on yeast at home, it’s unlikely anyone would prefer a store-bought product to him. The time of active cooking flour bases for croissants and similar desserts is not so great. Having learned that the process of kneading dough takes a day or even more, do not worry - almost all this time it will simply lie in the refrigerator waiting for the next rolling.
Yeast puff pastry is prepared quite simply, but for a long time. To obtain the expected result, you will also have to follow the recommendations accompanying the selected recipe. The slightest violation of technology can lead to the fact that products made from yeast puff pastry, prepared personally, turn out to be not the same as they should be: fluffy and layered at the same time.
- Puff pastry should be tasty even without filling. From second-rate flour products go unappetizing in appearance and have an unpleasant aftertaste. For puff pastry it is allowed to use only high-quality flour.
- Flour must be sifted before connecting to other components. The main goal of this manipulation is not to get rid of small litter and insect larvae, but to saturate it with oxygen. After sifting, it becomes light, easier to combine with other ingredients, without forming lumps. The dough mixed in such flour rises well. Baking out of it comes out gentle and airy.
- The layered structure of the dough is obtained by covering the dough with cold grease and repeatedly rolling it. Fat should not be allowed to melt and soak into the dough, so after each rolling it is cooled. The longer the cooling time of the dough, the more you can be sure that the result will meet the expectations. The more times you roll the dough, the more layers there will be.
- The taste of the finished puff pastry products also depends on the quality of the fat used. Experienced housewives argue that the best result allows you to get the use of butter. However, it is also permissible to replace it with margarine. This product is considered less useful, but the puff pastry on it is successful.
- Yeast dough preparation technology involves kneading dough, which later combines with other ingredients, sandwiched with butter or margarine, rolled out and cooled several times. For sponge need yeast, sugar and warm liquid. This is usually water or milk, but other options are possible.
- The optimum temperature of the liquid base for the activation of yeast is from 30 to 40 degrees. Under the influence of higher temperatures, live cultures that cause fermentation may die, and the brew will not work. In a cold environment, the yeast will not become active.
Yeast puff pastry can be prepared for several baking portions at once, as it can be stored in a freezer for up to 4 months. However, you can freeze the yeast dough only once. Repeated defrosting and freezing of this type of dough will make it difficult for the dough to rise during baking, products will come out flat and hard.
Yeast flaky pastry on butter (classic version)
- wheat flour - 1 kg;
- sugar - 80 g;
- salt - 20 g;
- water - 0, 3 l;
- milk - 0, 2 l;
- butter or margarine - 0, 7 kg;
- dry yeast - 25 g (or 75 g pressed).
Method of preparation:
- Sift flour.
- Water boil, cool to about 30-35 degrees.
- Pour the yeast, a tablespoon of sugar and half a cup of flour into warm water. Mix well to obtain a homogeneous composition. Wait for the appearance of a fluffy hat, which will indicate that the yeast has earned.
- From the refrigerator, remove 200 g of oil, chop it with a knife and leave it at room temperature so that it softens.
- Add the remaining flour and sugar, salt to the liquid mixture. Add preheated milk to 30 degrees. Stir the products, getting a homogeneous mass.
- Stir the dough with a spatula until it begins to gather in one.
- Add the softened butter, knead the dough well again. At the last stage, knead it with your hands. To do this, it is transferred from the bowl to the working surface of the table, sprinkled with flour.
- From the prepared dough, sufficiently dense and not sticking to hands, form a rectangle of arbitrary size. Put it in a bag and put it in the fridge.
- Rub the remaining butter on a sheet of parchment. Make a parchment envelope about 30 by 30 cm in size, distribute the oil inside it with a rolling pin or with your hands. Put in the fridge.
- Cool the dough and butter for at least 4 hours.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle with a short side of 30 cm, a long one - 60 cm (or slightly more).
- Wrap the butter in it, laying it out of parchment. Roll out the dough to its original size.
- Fold the dough in an envelope, put it in the fridge for an hour.
- After the indicated time, roll the dough again, roll it up in an envelope. Clean in the cold.
- Repeat the procedure another 2-3 times at intervals of at least an hour.
The dough prepared according to this recipe is universal, suitable for sweet and savory pastries. You can make puffs, pies, croissants and other products from it.
Yeast puff pastry with egg
- wheat flour - 0, 7 kg;
- dry high-speed yeast - 11 g;
- milk - 0, 35 l;
- sugar - 80 g;
- salt - 10 g;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- butter or margarine - 0, 5 kg.
Method of preparation:
- Sift flour, mix it with yeast, sugar and salt.
- Separate a piece of oil weighing about 50 g, melt it to a liquid state. Let it cool.
- Break eggs into a clean container, shake them with a whisk or fork.
- Heat the milk to about 35 degrees, pour to the eggs. Add melted butter.
- Beat the liquid products with a whisk to obtain a uniform composition.
- Mix the liquid and dry. Stir products will be easier if the liquid components are added to dry, and not vice versa.
- Stir the products to the extent that can be done with a spatula. Sprinkle flour on the working surface of the table, lay out the dough on it, complete the process of kneading it with your hands.
- Leave the dough at room temperature for 1, 5-2 hours, covering it with a damp cloth or cling film.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for 6-8 hours.
- Roll the dough into a rectangular layer about 1 cm thick.
- Rub the remaining butter over half the dough.
- Cover the butter with the second half of the dough, pinch the edges. Roll the dough into a layer no thicker than 1, 5 cm. Fold in 4 layers, place in a plastic bag and put in the refrigerator.
- After 30-60 minutes, roll the dough again and roll it again into 4 layers, return it to the refrigerator.
- Repeat the process of rolling out and folding the dough and then cooling it another 2-3 times.
After the next rolling, the dough can be used to form the products.
Yeast puff pastry with sour cream
- flour - 0, 65 kg;
- butter - 150 g;
- sugar - 40 g;
- sour cream - 100 ml;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- pressed yeast - 40 g;
- milk - 150 ml;
- salt - 5 g.
Method of preparation:
- Heat the milk to about 30 degrees, crumble the yeast into it, add salt and sugar, mix. You need to stir to such an extent that the yeast and sugar in the milk are completely dissolved.
- Wait for the yeast to activate. This will indicate the appearance on the surface of milk froth cap.
- Put sour cream on sourdough and mix until smooth.
- In a separate container, break the eggs, beat them, pour them to the main liquid mass. Whisk with a whisk so that the liquid mixture has a uniform consistency.
- Sift flour. Separate the glass from her. Enter the remaining flour into the liquid mixture. Knead the dough. Place it in a saucepan, cover with a wet towel, leave for half an hour at room temperature, then cool for an hour, placing in a plastic bag.
- Pour unused flour onto the working surface of the table, rub the cooled butter on it. Pound butter with flour to the state of crumb, crumple and clean in the refrigerator.
- After an hour, roll out the dough, wrap the flour in it, roll it out. Fold the envelope and place in the refrigerator.
- Roll the dough twice more at half-hour intervals.
The dough for this recipe is prepared a little faster than the traditional. Products from it turn out not strongly layered, but magnificent and gentle, do not dry for a long time.
Yeast puff pastry at home is prepared for quite a long time, but this process is not complicated. Having learned to make such a dough with your own hands, you will refuse the purchased product, as homemade will be much tastier.