Viennese pastries are known worldwide. It turns out soft and gentle, for a long time retains freshness, appetizing appearance and pleasant taste. The secret of such baking lies in a special type of dough. There is a lot of baking in it, and the process of kneading it is lengthy, but the result justifies the effort spent. Viennese pie dough made according to traditional recipes, get sweet and airy. If you want to make a snack from it, for example, a pie with fish or meat, it is enough to reduce the amount of sugar in the composition.
There are several technologies for kneading dough. Sometimes the process of its preparation is stretched for 2 days, sometimes it takes only a few hours. Many depend on what kind of yeast is used, what kind of brew is made, at what temperature the brew and the dough itself are suitable. To obtain the expected result, you must always follow the instructions accompanying the selected recipe. However, when preparing a Viennese dough, you need to know and take into account a few points that remain important no matter what technology is used to knead the dough.
- The taste of the finished dough directly depends on the quality of the ingredients used to make it. In the Viennese dough a lot of muffin, that is, eggs and butter. Butter can almost always be replaced by margarine, but the taste of the finished baking will suffer. More important is the use of high-quality flour. A second-rate product gives baking a gray color and an unpleasant aftertaste, and even the most delicious filling will not be able to veil it.
- Flour before kneading dough must be sifted, even two or three times. The purpose of this manipulation is not only to rid the product of small litter and insect larvae. The main task is to saturate the flour of oxygen. After sifting, it becomes easy, such flour is easier to combine with other components, preventing the formation of lumps. The dough, kneaded on such flour, rises better, baking from it is more airy.
- Viennese dough - butter. This means that it contains a lot of fatty foods that make the dough heavier, preventing it from rising. To obtain the expected result, it is kneaded using the sponge method. Attempting to speed up the process and abandon the preparation of a dough will not bring anything good.
- When preparing yeast dough, the quality of the yeast always plays a role, especially when it comes to pastry dough. Experienced cooks first mix the yeast with a small amount of sugar and a warm liquid, waiting for the reaction. Just making sure that the yeast is working, they are preparing the brew. This will save you from wasting extra products and time. If 15 minutes after mixing with liquid and sugar, the yeast is not activated, they must be replaced.
- Warm foods are used to mix the Viennese dough. Eggs and sour cream are taken from the refrigerator in advance, butter is melted in a water bath or in a microwave, milk is heated to 30-40 degrees. This is the temperature needed to activate the yeast. In a cold environment, they will refuse to work, hot liquid will kill them.
- A Viennese pastry is airy, because it is not clogged with flour. It turns soft, even sticky. To make it more pliable, it takes a long time to knead, at least 10 minutes. Although experienced bakers advise to do it twice as long. So that the dough does not stick to the hands during kneading, they are smeared with vegetable oil. They can also cover the working surface of the table.
Pies from Viennese pastry can also be prepared by an inexperienced cook, but only if you have patience and follow all the recommendations in the recipe, without departing from the instructions one iota. This kind of flour base is more suitable for sweet baking, but it can also be used for unsweetened pies, if you reduce the amount of sugar in the composition.
Classic Viennese recipe for pies
- wheat flour - 1 kg;
- milk - 0, 5 l;
- yeast - 20 g;
- butter - 0, 2 kg;
- chicken egg - 4 pcs .;
- salt - 5-10 g;
- sugar - 150 g for unsweetened baking, 0, 25 kg - for sweet;
- refined vegetable oil - how much will go to work with the dough.
Method of preparation:
- Heat the milk to 30-40 degrees. Pour about 350 ml into a bowl.
- Crumble yeast into molten milk, add a tablespoon of sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar and yeast.
- Wait 10-15 minutes until the yeast is activated. The fact that they have earned, will indicate the appearance on the surface of milk froth cap.
- Sift flour. Mix half of it with milk, in which the yeast is dissolved. The mixture should be thick and homogeneous.
- Cover the bowl with the boil with a damp cloth, place in a warm place. Wait until the sponge rises and begins to fall. It will happen in approximately 1, 5 hours.
- Melt 50 g of butter, mix it with the remaining milk and two tablespoons of sugar. Pour to the dough, mix.
- Add the remaining flour and salt, knead the dough. At this stage it is not necessary to mix it thoroughly, it is enough to ensure that the ingredients are combined into a homogeneous mass.
- Put the dough in a saucepan, cover with a towel, and heat for about an hour.
- Punch dough.
- Beat the eggs with the remaining sugar and softened butter. Combine this mixture with the dough, knead it for 20 minutes.
- Clean the dough in a warm place for 2 hours.
It remains to knead the dough, roll out and make pies or other products out of it.
Viennese dough in bread maker
- wheat flour - 0, 3 kg;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- milk - 80 ml;
- sugar - 80 g;
- butter - 50 g;
- pressed yeast - 13 g.
Method of preparation:
- Heat the milk to about 35 degrees, dissolve the yeast in it.
- Break eggs into a separate container, add sugar to them. Whisk the products with a whisk until the mixture turns white.
- Combine the egg mass with milk, mix well.
- Cover the mixture with cling film, leave for 12 hours at room temperature or slightly higher.
- Pour the dough into the bread maker's container. Put the softened butter in it, add the sifted flour.
- Turn on the bread maker in dough mode. If you can set the multiplicity of demons, select 2-3.
From the specified number of ingredients, you get exactly as much dough as you need for one large cake. Enough it on the baking pies.
Viennese dough with sour cream for pies
- wheat flour - 0.75 kg;
- milk - 0, 25 l;
- butter or margarine - 40 g;
- sour cream - 120 ml;
- pressed yeast - 20 g;
- chicken egg - 3 pcs .;
- sugar - 120 g;
- salt - a pinch.
Method of preparation:
- Heat milk, pour half a glass. Dissolve the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar in it. Wait for the yeast to activate.
- Melt butter or margarine, let cool for a while.
- Beat the eggs with the remaining sugar, add sour cream, beat with it.
- Add butter and remaining milk to the egg mass. Whisk the products with a whisk to make the composition uniform.
- Combine the resulting mixture with the starter, stir until smooth.
- Sift flour. In small portions enter it into the liquid mixture until it reaches the consistency of sour cream.
- Wait until the sponge fits. Stir her.
- Add the remaining flour, knead the dough.
- Keep the dough warm until its volume doubles.
- Punch the dough, wait until it rises a second time, then punch again.
After the third raising of the dough, you can start making pies from it.
Viennese dough is considered one of the best for making sweet pastry. The process of kneading is long, but the result justifies the effort. Using kitchen gadgets will save energy, but not time.