There are an infinite number of recipes for pickled tomatoes. These recipes are handed down from generation to generation, adopted from friends or neighbors. Many families keep recipes for pickled tomatoes, inherited from their grandmothers. There are also a lot of tricks of cooking, and you just have to choose which recipe, which proportions of spices suit you and will be most liked by your home.
I myself love pickled tomatoes. Often, when I come to a traditional feast, I look around the table for my favorite snack. If tomatoes are on the table, then you can be sure that I will definitely try them. And if you like the snack, I will definitely try to find out the subtleties of cooking. So among the recipes of my family appeared this little masterpiece. Geographically, this recipe came from the Oryol region, and I thank my friend, who brought it, writing in his family. For the last few years we have been preparing pickled tomatoes only according to this recipe.
Distinctive features of the recipe: a small amount of vinegar (it is almost not felt) and vegetable oil added to tomatoes. As a result, the tomatoes are very delicate in taste, the pickle is very fragrant, as the vinegar does not kill all the aromas of the spices. These tomatoes do not crawl, retain their shape and size well. I highly recommend making a few cans of this recipe and I am sure that you and your family will like these tomatoes. I’ll add that the recipe is based on a three-liter jar, but for photos we have chosen one-liter jars. Don't let that bother you.
For a three-liter jar you will need:
- 2kg tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. table spoon 9% vinegar
- 1 tbsp. spoon of vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp. spoons of sugar
- 2 tbsp. spoons of salt
- Dill umbrella
- horseradish sheet
- 5-7 cloves of garlic
- sprig of parsley
- several black peppercorns
- bay leaf
Method of cooking pickled tomatoes
- At the bottom of the washed cans, put a sheet of horseradish and an umbrella of dill.
- Wash the tomatoes thoroughly and tear off the stem. We do not need to pierce them, as we’ll fill them with not warm water, but with warm brine.
- Fill the jars with tomatoes.
- Put a few cloves of garlic, a sprig of parsley with the tomatoes.
The set of spices may vary. For tomatoes also suitable: tarragon, dill, currant leaves and cherries, bitter red pepper and others. I add only dill (umbrella), garlic, parsley.
Preparation of brine
For a three-liter jar requires approximately 1, 5 liters of brine.
- For 1, 5 l of water, add 6 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of salt, bay leaf, peppercorns (5-7 pcs.).
- Bring the brine to a boil, then turn it off and let it cool. Fill the jars with a warm pickle so that the tomatoes do not burst.
- In a jar of tomatoes pour 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil, 1 tablespoon of table vinegar 9%.
- Fill tomatoes with brine to the top.
- Pasteurize cans in a water bath for 15-20 minutes.
- Roll the cans with lids. We turn over and we wrap up for days as usual.
Please write in the comments what recipes are prepared in your family. Perhaps the recipe for the “Best Marinated Tomatoes” belongs to you?
A few tips
- For pickling, you should choose only good, without damage, strong tomatoes of the same grade and size.
- Big and fleshy tomatoes are best marinated by cutting.
- For decoration, you can add green Bulgarian pepper, onion rings to the jar.