It's time for autumn blanks. You have received a good harvest of vegetables from your beds, from greenhouses, greenhouses. How to store all this for the winter?
If you do not yet have experience in harvesting vegetables, then pay attention to general terms.
Sterilization of cans and lids
Banks, I pre-sterilized over boiling water: up to 1 liter - 2-3 minutes, larger volume - 3-5 minutes. It is very convenient to use a special lid with a hole for the size of the neck of the jar, which is placed on the pan from above. The bank is very stable. Metal lids for canning necessarily boiling for 3-5 minutes just before closing the cans and take them out of the boiling water. (But I rarely sterilize jars filled with blanks and covered with lids, and I stipulate this in recipes.).
© The Gifted Photographer
I wrap and turn over the cans always and with any blanks, be it salads, compotes or marinades. For wrapping cans I use something from old warm clothes. I keep the banks wrapped until they are completely cooled, and only after that I turn them over and put them away for permanent storage.
Storage of blanks
Billets that will be stored in the winter at the cottage, I do only at the cottage. All that is intended for use at home (in a city apartment), I try to close only in the apartment. If you follow this rule, then there will be no problems with banks. They stand well, sometimes even for 2-3 years, although, of course, they should not be kept so much. If you have to bring cans with blanks from the dacha, then I store them only in the refrigerator, otherwise the lids will swell.
I prefer to add 6% vinegar to salads, and 9% to marinades.
Let's start with the simplest.
Dressing for borscht
- 3kg beets, 2 kg of carrots, 2 kg of sweet pepper, 3kg of tomatoes, 2 fruits of bitter pepper, 0, 5l of vegetable oil, salt to taste.
Grate beets and carrots, chop the sweet peppers, mince tomatoes. Pour sunflower oil in a saucepan, put it on fire, let the oil boil. Put the beets and carrots in it, boil for 15 minutes, then add the remaining vegetables, bay leaf and simmer for 1 hour. Put the hot dressing in sterilized jars and roll up.
From the specified number of products you get 15 half-liter jars of billet, which can be used not only for cooking borscht, but also as a salad (very tasty!).
- 10-20 each. eggplant, sweet peppers and tomatoes, 4-5 onions, 1 glass of water, 2 tbsp. spoons of salt, half a cup of vegetable oil, vinegar.
Eggplants (without peeling the skin), coarsely chop the peppers and tomatoes, and cut the onions into rings. All components, with the exception of vinegar, put in a pan and simmer until cooked (25-30 minutes after boiling). Put the finished mass of vegetables in hot form into liter jars. Pour into each jar for 1 teaspoon of vinegar and roll up the lids.
“Lecho” with tomatoes
- 3 kg of sweet pepper, 2 kg of tomatoes, 150 g of garlic, 1 fruit of bitter pepper, 1 bunch of parsley and dill, 1 cup of vegetable oil, half a cup of vinegar, 50 g of salt, half a cup of sugar.
Cut the sweet pepper into long, thin strips. Tomatoes, garlic and bitter pepper mince. Chop the greens. Put everything in a saucepan, mix and pour a mixture of oil, vinegar, salt and sugar. Boil for 25-30 minutes. Spread the hot mass into jars, roll up the lids, turn them over and put them in a warm place until cool.
© Matt McGee
“Lecho” with cucumbers
- 5 kg of cucumbers, 2, 5 kg of tomatoes, 1 kg of sweet pepper, a glass of sunflower oil, vinegar and granulated sugar, 3 full tbsp. spoons of salt, 1 head of garlic.
Peel the sweet peppers from the seeds, put them in a meat grinder together with the tomatoes, put them in a saucepan, add salt, sugar, oil and vinegar and put on the fire. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Cucumbers cut into thin rings and put in a boiling mass, again bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Finely chop the garlic and add to the salad 5 minutes before stewing. The finished hot mass is put in jars and corked.
Salad with pepper
- 1 kg of Bulgarian pepper, 1 kg of onion, 2 kg of tomatoes, 1 kg of carrots, 1 cup of vinegar and vegetable oil, Zst. spoons of sugar and salt.
Wash and cut vegetables, put them in a pan, add vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, sugar, mix, cover and simmer until ready (15-20 minutes after the start of boiling). Ready hot salad put in jars and roll covers.
Tomato and onion salad
- The number of tomatoes and onions taken arbitrarily, to taste. Brine: 3 liters of water 30 black peppercorns, 15 bay leaves, half a cup of vinegar, 9 tbsp. spoons of sugar, 4 tbsp. Spoon spoons, 3 tbsp. spoons of sunflower oil.
Cut and dried tomatoes into slices, cut onions into rings. Lay in sterilized jars in layers, alternating tomatoes and onions. Vegetables in banks pour boiling brine and cork lids. As such, the product is well worth the fridge. If there is a need to store it in a normal room, then the banks, before clogging, but already covered with lids, it is better to sterilize for 3 minutes.
When you learn simple recipes, you can try to make the blanks more complicated.
Assorted Vegetables No. 1
- I take a 3-liter jar: 7-8 fresh cucumbers, 2-3 brown tomatoes, 2-3 whole peeled onions, 4-5 large cloves of garlic, 1 parsley root, 2-3 sweet peppers, several pieces of horseradish, a sprig of dill, pieces of a head of white cabbage - on demand.
- Composition of marinade: 1, 5l of water, 4 tbsp. spoons of sugar, 2 tbsp. spoons of salt, 0, 5 glasses of vinegar.
Sterilize the jar, place vegetables in it, filling the voids with pieces of cabbage. Prepare the marinade: put all its ingredients (except vinegar) in a saucepan, boil, pour in vinegar and immediately remove from heat. Pour hot vegetables in a jar. Roll the jar lid.
© The Gifted Photographer
Assorted Vegetables No. 2
I use this recipe for a long time. All its essence is that any vegetables that are available in a completely arbitrary combination are taken - who likes what more: someone will put almost one cauliflower, and someone more onions and carrots. Usually I close many cans at once, combining vegetables as I like. Small vegetables choose because you do not need to cut. I indicate the approximate amount for the first sample per liter jar:
- 3-5 pcs. small carrots (it is possible to cut large, but it is necessary to cut it), 1-2 fruits of sweet pepper, 3-5 pieces of cauliflower inflorescence, 5-7g of garlic, 1 onion of onions (or 7-10 bulbs of many-tier onion), 1-2 very small patissons, 1-2 small (5-7 cm in diameter) zucchini, 2-3 small cucumbers, 7-10 small tomatoes, 5-7 small apples (you can also make large ones, but cut them). If some of the listed vegetables and fruits are not, then we can do without them. More for assorted are needed: 1 fruit of hot pepper, parsley roots, greens (dill 2-3 sprigs, parsley 1 sprig, tarragon 1-2 sprigs per jar, but I put only one weed in each jar).
- The composition of the marinade: 1 liter of water, 4 tsp of salt, 6 tsp of sugar, 3 bay leaves, 7 flowers of cloves, 5 peas black and allspice, vinegar at the rate of 2 tbsp. spoons per liter jar.
All prepared vegetables for assorted vegetables must be blanched in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Liter jars to wash, sterilize, put on the bottom of each piece of hot pepper, parsley root, greens, lay rows of vegetables. Prepare the marinade: add all ingredients to the water, except the vinegar, boil. Hot marinade pour jars of vegetables. Add to each jar 2 tbsp. spoons of vinegar (or 1 tsp of vinegar essence). Banks roll covers and wrap to cool.
Beetroot salad and not only ...
- 1 kg of beets, on 0, 5 kg of onions and carrots, 1, 5 kg of tomatoes, 1 tbsp. a spoonful of salt, on 0, 5 glasses of sugar and vegetable oil, W Art. spoons of vinegar.
Grate the beets and carrots on a coarse grater, cut the onion into half rings, and cut the tomatoes into slices. Put everything in a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes. Add vinegar 5 minutes before the end of cooking. Hot salad spread in banks and roll up.
© Southern Foodways Alliance
- 3 kg of tomatoes, 0.5 kg of onion, carrots, sweet peppers and apples, 1 cup of sugar, 0, 5 l of sunflower oil, 1, 5 tbsp. spoons of salt, 20g garlic, 1 tbsp. spoon of ground red or 2 tbsp. spoons of black pepper (can be without pepper, then adjika is very gentle, and some sharpness in it will be at the expense of other products).
Wash vegetables, dry, peel, remove seeds and stems from apples and peppers, mince, put in a saucepan, mix and cook on low heat for 2, 5 h under a lid. Hot mass spread on the banks, roll up, turn and wrap until cool.
- 3 kg of cucumbers, 0.5 kg of onions, 5-6 heads of garlic (garlic - to taste, can be half as much), 1 cup of vegetable oil, sugar and vinegar, 100 g of salt.
Cut the cucumbers into slices, chop the onion into rings, chop the garlic, put into the pan. Add salt, sugar, oil and vinegar and leave for 12 hours. After that, fold the salad into sterile jars, roll up the lids (it is permissible to close with plastic lids). You can store the salad only in the fridge, but when you open the jar, the aroma from cucumbers is the same as if they had just been ripped off in the garden.