Duck with oranges - general principles and methods of cooking
Duck with oranges came to us from the French cuisine. Of course, this is definitely not a dish for every day, but a festive one, since you cannot cook it on the go. Properly cooked duck meat is very tasty and nutritious. It has a lot of protein, phosphorus, vitamins B1, B2, A. By the way, there is twice as much duck meat as in chicken meat, however, and there is also several times more fat in duck when compared to chicken or turkey. Some housewives, especially beginners, have a fear that they will not cope with this dish. But, if you have the experience of roasting or roasting a chicken, then the duck will certainly work, especially if you use our recipes.
Duck with oranges - food preparation
Of course, when preparing to cook a duck with oranges, it is extremely important to choose a good bird. Here you need to remember the following. The quality of a duck is judged mainly by its fatness. A poorly fed bird (for example, a wild duck) will make a dry and coarse dish; an excessively fat duck will have an unpleasantly sugary taste, in addition, problems may arise with its absorption. Therefore, for cooking duck with oranges, it is better to take an average bird, about 1.5-2 kg.
Acquired duck should be cleaned, dusted, thoroughly washed and dried. The tail is also better to cut off, since iron is concentrated in it with a secret to lubricate the feathers of birds, so the fat there has a particularly specific smell.
Duck with oranges - the best recipes
Recipe 1: Duck with oranges
The easiest recipe for duck with oranges. At the same time, the dish turns out to be very tasty and elegant, because under the ruddy crust that covers the duck, there is a tender meat, soaked in orange flavor. Ingredients:
50 gr. mayonnaise;
to taste the salt with black pepper.
1. Mix the mayonnaise with salt and black pepper, rub the prepared duck carcass with the mixture.
2. Having washed and peeled oranges, divide them into slices and stuff them with a duck through an incision in the abdomen. We sew the incision with a thick culinary thread, or simply shear with wooden toothpicks.
3. Heat the oven well. We spread the duck stuffed with oranges on a baking sheet. Having placed the baking sheet in the preheated oven, bake the duck for about an hour, not forgetting to periodically pour it with the juice formed during cooking.
Recipe 2: Duck with oranges and apples
This duck is a real gourmet feast. The combination of the taste of the bird with the sweet-sour apple-orange flavor is almost classic, and the aroma of spices makes this dish just delicious.
1 garlic head;
2 tsp. lemon juice;
50 gr. olive oil;
ground black pepper;
1. Pour olive oil into a bowl, mix it with spices and salt. We clean the head of garlic and, having ground half in the garlic box, send it to the marinade, mix everything thoroughly. Squeezing the juice of one orange, also add it to the marinade. Mix the resulting mass well again, let it stand for about 10 minutes.
2. Rub the prepared duck carcass inside and outside with the obtained marinade. Then, wrapping it in a bag, leave it to marinate.
3. Cut into small pieces of offal. Peel the apples and cut them into small cubes. Cut the remaining garlic into thin slices. Then, mixing the giblets with apples, garlic and giblets, sprinkle them with lemon juice and spices. Use the filling to fill the duck tightly and sew the incision in the abdomen with threads or fasten with toothpicks. Wrapping the duck in the plastic wrap, leave it to marinate for a few hours. 4. Heat the oven well. Cover the baking sheet with foil. Cutting the second orange into circles about half a centimeter thick, lay out several circles in the center of the pan. On them belly up put the bird, extracted from the film. Peeling the remaining orange circles, lay them on the surface of the duck.
5. After wrapping the baking sheet in foil, put it in a very well preheated oven for about half an hour. Then, reducing the temperature, bake it for about 2 hours. Then we unfold the foil and bring the duck to readiness in the oven for about half an hour, pouring it every 10 minutes with the fat that is released during frying.
Recipe 3: French duck with oranges
This recipe came to us from the homeland of this wonderful dish. So, on it our duck with oranges will turn out especially tasty!
50 gr. rast. oils;
2 cups chicken broth;
70 gr. Sahara;
100 gr. white wine;
80 gr. orange liqueur;
50 gr. starch;
scoop jam glass of oranges;
to taste white pepper powder and salt.
1. Rub the prepared duck with pepper and salt. Wash and clean the carrots with parsley root, then, after drying them, cut into small cubes. Finely chop the onion. Peeling one orange, cut it into slices with a sharp knife. Cut the zest from the second orange and lemon into thin slices.
2. Squeezing juice from two oranges and lemon, mix it well. Warming up the butter in a deep frying pan, put the duck in there and fry it for about 15 minutes. Then lay out the same prepared carrots with onions and parsley. Fry everything for about 15 minutes, turning the duck and stirring the vegetables. Then pour hot broth into the pan and place the pan in a well-heated oven, where we cook the duck for about half an hour. 3. At this time, melt the sugar in a saucepan over low heat until it turns golden yellow. Then, adding orange peel with orange pulp and a mixture of orange and lemon juice, cook on low heat for about half an hour with constant stirring.
4. Put the prepared duck out of the pan on the dish and put it in the oven turned off for 10 minutes. At this time we filter the juice from the pan, which remained there after stewing the chicken, mix it with wine and a mixture of sugar and juice. Cook this sauce over low heat for about a minute, then mix it with liquor. Dilute starch in cold water, pour it into the sauce, bring to a boil, then add the jam, stir, salt and pepper.
5. Cut the duck into portions, spread the oranges on top of them. Serve sauce separately.
Duck with oranges - useful tips from experienced chefs
During frying, the duck should be pierced under the wings and legs, it is necessary for faster draining of fat.
The frying time of a duck is determined by its size and is usually from one and a half to two hours. It is also determined as follows: 30 minutes for each kilogram and an additional 30 minutes.
To make the duck easier to cut when serving, after being ready, it must be wrapped in foil and, covered with a towel, let it reach for about 15 minutes.