Chicken offal is cheaper than beef and pork, but no less useful. 100 g of chicken liver contains the daily rate of iron and a large amount of folic acid, which is responsible for blood formation. People who use this product regularly, iron deficiency anemia is not threatened. Chicken liver also contains a lot of vitamin A, a significant amount of group B vitamins, and various micro and macro elements. At the same time it is nourishing and not too high in calories. However, this diet product is often included in the family menu, not in every home. The reason is that not all housewives know how to cook chicken liver so that it turns out to be soft and not dry. Experienced cooks cope with this task without much difficulty, making salads, pies, soups and other foods from chicken liver. It is necessary to learn how to cook this product and young mothers, as pediatricians advise you to include liver mash in the diet of young children, replacing meat with them about once a week.
Features of cooking chicken liver so that it is soft and juicy
Chicken liver is an inexpensive and healthy product, and how tasty it is depends on the culinary skill. It is not required to have great cooking skills in order to make the liver soft and juicy, but still it is impossible to do without knowledge of the technological features of its preparation. After examining the subtleties of cooking chicken liver, even the beginning hostess can make delicious meals from it.
- The taste of the finished dish will depend on its quality. It is necessary to approach the choice of a chicken liver carefully, especially if it will be used for baby food. Fresh chicken liver has a pink, maroon or burgundy color, a wet color, a pleasant smell. If the product looks pale, exudes an unpleasant smell, is stained, it is advisable to refrain from purchasing it. When buying a liver, it is recommended to pay attention not only to its appearance, but also to the integrity of the packaging, shelf life.
- If your goal is to cook chicken liver so that it comes out juicy and soft, it is worth buying fresh or chilled. All meat products during freezing and subsequent defrosting lose some liquid, which results in less juicy. If you still have to boil frozen livers, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Do not try to speed up the process with the help of a microwave or warm water, otherwise juicy and tender boiled chicken liver you definitely will not succeed.
- Before cooking, the liver must be well washed in running water. Each piece is required to be inspected to cut off the yellow areas. If you cook the liver soiled with bile, it will come out bitter, and it will be impossible to correct this mistake. Some housewives before washing and cleaning the liver even soak it for half an hour in cool water, this reduces the risk that it will taste bitter.
- If the food is prepared for a child, it is necessary to soak the liver, preferably in milk. This is done after the liver is cleaned and cut into pieces. The time of soaking the liver in milk is about 15 minutes. After this procedure, it becomes not only less bitter, but more juicy.
- In order for the chicken liver to remain as juicy as possible after cooking, it is dipped in boiling water. Salt product can only be shortly before it is ready.
Chicken liver is not as juicy as beef or pork. It is considered finished only when it becomes dry inside. Juicy, it becomes, if it is cooked after boiling in cream or sour cream, add vegetables. However, it should still be soft and gentle. Therefore, it is important not to digest.
Pieces of chicken liver are small enough and easy to digest. After holding the liver in boiling water for just 5 minutes, you risk making it hard and completely dry. To avoid this, you need to know how long it takes to cook in a saucepan, a slow cooker or a double boiler.
- In a pan the liver is boiled for 10-15 minutes on low heat. It usually takes 12-13 minutes, so after this time you need to check the degree of readiness of the product with a knife. If the juice from the liver does not follow, it is ready. If the juice still stands out, you need to boil it for a few more minutes.
- In a multicooker (in the main tank), the liver is cooked for 5 minutes longer than in a saucepan. At what time to set the timer, for 15 or 20 minutes, depends on the power of the unit.
- In a double boiler or in a slow cooker, the chicken liver is boiled for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker it is impractical to cook the chicken liver, since it will take longer to press and release pressure than to cook the dish. But if you still decide to use this device for making a liver, boil the liver in it for 5-7 minutes after they have set the desired pressure.
For a child it is advisable to cook chicken livers for 3-5 minutes longer than for adults. If it turns out to be dryish, it will need to be diluted to a state of mashed potatoes with boiled water or milk.
How to cook chicken liver for a child
- chicken liver - 100 g;
- milk - 100 ml;
- water - 0, 5 l.
Method of preparation:
- If you use paired liver, put it in the fridge for half an hour to make it easier to work with. Frozen food is allowed to thaw in the refrigerator.
- Rinse the liver in running water, remove the areas that are stained with bile by cutting them with a knife.
- Cut the liver into 3-4 pieces. Put in a bowl, cover with milk. Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse the liver again.
- Boil the water. Put a liver in it. Do not add salt, do not add spices either.
- Cook the liver on low heat for 15-20 minutes. If you see that when boiling water on the surface made foam, remove it with a slotted spoon.
It remains to cool the liver, chop it with a blender to a state of mashed potatoes, dilute with boiled water or milk mixture, which you feed the child, so that the mashed potatoes have a suitable consistency for him. Liver mashed potatoes can be supplemented with mashed vegetables that are already familiar to the baby. Usually chicken liver mash is given to children from 8-9 months, but not earlier than one month after the introduction of meat into its diet. You need to start feeding with half a teaspoon of the product.
How to cook chicken liver for salad
- chicken liver - 0, 5 kg;
- water - 1, 5 l;
- black pepper peas - 5 pcs .;
- bay leaf - 2 pcs .;
- salt - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Liver wash, removing bile stains. Fill with cold water, leave for half an hour, rinse again.
- Boil water, add pepper and laurel leaves to it, dip the pieces of liver into it. Boil on low heat for 15 minutes, 5 minutes until cooked, add salt.
- Check the knife's readiness — no dark liquid should flow out of it.
Remove the liver pan from the fire, use immediately if it is cooked for a warm salad, or cool it without removing it from the broth if the by-product is to be used to make a cold snack.
How to boil the liver for a steamed pate
- chicken liver - 0, 5 kg;
- carrots - 100 g;
- onions - 100 g;
- salt, spices - to taste;
- water - how much will leave.
Method of preparation:
- Prepare the liver by washing it well, dried, cut into small pieces and drain the blood.
- Pour water in the amount recommended by the manufacturer of the unit into the main tank of the double boiler.
- Put the pieces of chicken liver on the steamer rack.
- Peel the onions and carrots. Grate carrots, chop onion finely.
- Season and salt the liver. Top with shredded vegetables.
- Turn the device on for 30 minutes.
It remains to chop the liver with vegetables to a state of pate, add butter, beat with a blender and cool. Similarly, you can boil chicken liver for a pate in a slow cooker.
Chicken liver is an inexpensive and useful product that can be included in the diet of people of different ages. Salads and pates are made from it delicious, you just need to cook it properly for them.