We are accustomed to see this fish in salted or smoked form. But how to cook a delicious mackerel in the oven, baked in foil or sleeve, not many people know. Baked mackerel is very tasty, stuffed with vegetables, with potatoes, and sauces. There are such recipes when the fish turns out just amazing.
Mackerel in the oven can be the main festive dish, if you have not tried this before, then you will be amazed at its savory taste. Guests will be surprised to try the familiar fish and recognize that mackerel in it. If it is cooked according to all the rules, it turns out soft, juicy, and, as in most marine fish, it has very few bones.
I learned about how to cook mackerel in the oven in Japan, and tried this cooking option for this wonderful, tasty fish there. As is known, most of the dishes in Japanese are fish, which they do not do with it, they boil, fry, bake in the oven with cheese, vegetables, some unimaginable sauces and even fruits.
Honestly, I was very surprised to see that mackerel stuffed with lemon, tomatoes, herbs and cheese, rubbed with a variety of spices. And often the Japanese just bake mackerel in the oven or microwave just like that, without anything, not even salt. It turns out that it is also delicious, by itself this fish has a very pleasant taste and smell, which is not necessarily drown with spices.
How to choose a mackerel for baking
Of course, the most delicious dish is obtained from a freshly caught fish, and then it’s true that you’re yummy fingers and you’re ready to eat one every day. But not all of us can afford such pleasure, in view of a certain distance from us of the places for fishing mackerel. Therefore, we will be content with fresh-frozen fish. It is sometimes difficult to distinguish sometimes a fresh-frozen fish of good quality, especially if it is assiduously wrapped up with several layers of food film. Yes, under such a shelter sometimes hide all the flaws. Choose a better one that you can easily consider. Good mackerel, recently caught and frozen, usually shiny back, has no damage and yellowing. A change in color to yellow indicates that the fish was defrosted several times and frozen again.
Mackerel in the oven with baked potatoes
The recipe is very advantageous, suitable for a family dinner on a weekday, and the arrival of guests is not a shame to submit, especially since they prepare quickly and the components are always at hand.
For the recipe you need:
- Frozen mackerel - 1 piece
- Peeled potatoes - 5-6 medium pieces
- Onion bulb - 1 medium
- Vegetable oil, better olive 2 tbsp. spoons
- Carrots - 1 not too big
- Water - half glass
- Salt to taste
- White pepper, also to taste
- Spices, can be special for fish
- Mayonnaise for lubrication
How to cook:
- We thaw the fish and cut off the head, tail, fins, gutting it. Then cut along the back and separate from the spine to make two fileyka. These two halves are cut into several parts, but you can also leave the whole as you like.
- We clean all vegetables and cut potatoes and carrots into thin rings, cut onions into half rings.
- The baking sheet is covered with foil or baking paper; it should not be too small. We begin to lay out layers of vegetables, the first slices of potatoes, behind him, carrot circles, then onions. Salt and pepper slightly, then sprinkle with a little butter.
- For vegetables, sandpaper up, lay out slices of mackerel fillets, also salt, pepper and add spices. From above we coat with mayonnaise.
- Add some water so that the potatoes are not dried in the oven.
- From above the baking sheet is covered with foil and fastened at the edges so that it is baked faster and faster.
- We preheat the oven in advance to 180 degrees and send our fish first for 20 minutes, then pull out the baking sheet, remove the foil and still set the fish to redden.
Stuffed mackerel baked in the sleeve
In this version, the fish turns out to be especially juicy, all smells remain inside the sleeve, therefore the flavor of the dish is divine. Moreover, the baking sheet remains clean (well, I don’t like to wash them).
We need for the recipe:
- One thawed or fresh mackerel
- A bunch of any greenery to your taste
- Bulb one small or half average
- Lemon half
- Dutch Cheese 100 grams
- Salt and white pepper
- Baking sleeve
Recipe for mackerel baked in the sleeve:
- We defrost the fish, cut off the head, fins and tail, take out the insides and carefully scrape the film inside, otherwise it will give unpleasant bitterness.
- Onions cut into cubes, put in a bowl and pour over lemon juice, leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Cut the greens finely.
- Three grated cheese and mixed with greens and pickled onions.
- Rub the fish with salt and pepper and put a mixture of greens, onions and cheese inside.
- Cut the sleeve to the desired length, fasten it on the one hand, put the fish neatly inside and fasten the other end.
- Place the baking tray in the oven for 25 minutes.
How to cook freshly frozen mackerel in the oven in foil
Mackerel in foil is generally a classic of the genre. The fish is saturated with the taste and aroma of vegetables, with which it is baked, the cooking options are many, from the simplest to the exotic. Below will give my favorite recipe.
For him, we will need products:
- Two fresh-frozen mackerel
- One medium tomato
- Half lemon
- Two tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Salt and white pepper.
Mackerel baked in foil, cooking:
- Defrost the fish, gut. The head can be cut or left as desired. Rinse well and cut into 2–3 cm thick slices.
- Grate pieces of fish with spices.
- Cut the tomato into slices, half a centimeter thick, cut the lemon into thin slices.
- Put pieces of fish on the foil, and between them put a slice of tomato and lemon.
- From above, sprinkle everything well with oil and wrap each mackerel tightly separately.
- Put the baking tray in a preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Baked mackerel in the oven with mushrooms
A completely amazing taste gives a combination of fish and mushrooms. Although it may seem unusual to some. For such a dish, you can use any mushrooms, but I liked mushrooms more, they have a softer taste.
For the recipe, we need to take:
- Two frozen mackerel
- A jar of canned champignons
- Cheese of a firm grade of 50 grams
- Sour cream of average fat content of half a cup
- A bunch of fresh parsley
- Spices for fish
- Flour for rolling
- Vegetable oil 1 tablespoons
- One and a half tablespoons of soy sauce
How to cook fresh mackerel with mushrooms in the oven:
- Cut fish into fillets, gut, remove fins, cut along the back and pull out the spine. Thoroughly wash.
- Rub the fillet with spices, roll in flour and fry quickly on both sides in a strongly heated frying pan.
- Fry mushrooms separately.
- Mix sour cream with soy sauce and finely chopped greens.
- Put baking paper on a baking sheet, spread fish fillet on it, smeared with prepared sauce.
- On the fish lay roasted mushrooms.
- From above on the mushrooms lay slices of tomatoes.
- Rub the cheese on the last layer.
- Baking tray for half an hour in the oven.
Frozen mackerel in the oven in a foil with vegetables
We will need:
- 2 mackerel carcasses (can be prepared fillets)
- One onion
- One Tomato
- One Lemon
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Salt, pepper and spices for fish
The fish is thawed in the refrigerator, then it will keep its shape well. We cut, wash and dry with a paper towel. Mix all the seasonings and salt and rub the carcass, leave for half an hour to marinate.
Onion, tomato and lemon cut into slices. The fish is placed on the foil, each separately. We lay out in turn layers, onion, tomato and lemon, top with sour cream. Wrap fish in foil so that it is not tight.
We bake for half an hour at a temperature of 180 degrees. After opening the foil and give the fish to brown.
How to bake mackerel, step by step with a photo
We will need:
- Mackerel Carcass
- Tablespoon of olive oil
- Rosemary sprig
- Two Lemon Slices
Salted fish trimmed and dabbed with vegetable oil.
Inside we lay the slices of lemon and a piece of butter.
Put a sprig of rosemary on top and wrap in foil.
Put the mackerel in the form and bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees. Before serving, decorate with greens.
Delicious Baked Mackerel
The easiest, but very tasty way to cook mackerel in the oven. By the way, in the same way you can make it in the microwave. This kind of fish is served in pubs in Japan, a simple dish with good taste, though they make it there from fresh fish.
We will need:
- Two mackerel
- Vegetable oil, better olive
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Half lemon
How to bake mackerel in the oven:
- Fish with giblets, remove the insides, trim the tail and head. Inside we remove the black film, well mine.
- To taste, salt, pepper, sprinkle with lemon juice and let stand for half an hour.
- Sprinkle the fish with oil and put it in the oven on the pan. Better to put the parchment, so as not to stick.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 25 minutes.
If you don't know how to make delicious mackerel in the oven, try my recipes. I'm sure you will like the taste. The only rule that must be observed during cooking is not to overdo it in the oven, otherwise it will be dry.