Wheat tortilla is an unleavened tortilla made from flour. Make it a traditional Mexican dish is not even experienced housewives.
With it, you can join the culture of another country, and most importantly - quickly and satisfyingly feed the family.
General principles for making wheat tortilla
The basis of wheat tortilla is flour, water, salt and butter. These products can always be found in any kitchen, no need to buy expensive and rare ingredients to make the national dish of Mexico.
When cooking tortillas, it is important to take into account such nuances
• For dough, it is not necessary to use high-grade flour, any one will do. It must be sieved before use to remove lumps and debris. It is appropriate to add corn flour to wheat flour.
• It is allowed to use both vegetable and animal oils as a fat base. Butter, margarine, sunflower or olive, with any option you can make delicious cakes.
• The water in the dough is added boiled, cooling it to a temperature of about 60 degrees. Its amount may vary depending on the quality of gluten in flour and its moisture.
• The dough must be brewed at room temperature after kneading. So it will ripen, become more pliable and more elastic. The thinner the dough is rolled out, the softer the wheat tortilla will be. The cake prepared for frying should be translucent, about 2 millimeters thick.
• A dry griddle should be well warmed before frying, the cakes are made without adding oil.
• The finished product is lightly sprinkled with water immediately after frying, if it is stored in a bag. If they are made immediately before use, then simply cover with a wet towel immediately after preparation. So they do not dry up, they will remain soft.
Tortilla - ready-to-eat unleavened bread. Often it is made with a filling, the composition of which depends on personal preferences and the availability of the right products. Meat, vegetables, fish, cheese, fruits - all these products are successfully used as a filling, creating tasty and sometimes original dishes. Depending on the filling, you can prepare a simple snack for each day, and delicious food for the holiday table. Small toasted pieces of wheat tortilla are added to the first courses. Round tortillas are used instead of a spoon, dipping them in the sauce before use. Fried cakes with filling are made in the form of a roll or canape, they are used as a base for sandwiches, pies or pizza.
Wheat tortillas are best eaten immediately after preparation. They can be used for three days, if rolled up, placed in a bag and put into the refrigerator. For longer storage can be kept in the freezer. Before use, just heat the cake in the microwave, oven or pan.
How to make classic wheat tortilla
• 230 g wheat flour;
• 120 ml of water;
• 30 g butter;
• a teaspoon of salt.
1. Pour the sifted flour into enameled or glassware, mix it with salt.
2. Add butter to the flour and grind it for a few minutes. This is convenient to do with a fork.
3. Pour water into the mixture, rub all the ingredients first with a fork, and then with your hands until a homogeneous mass.
4. The dough should be quite tight, dense. Leave it for about half an hour to brew at room temperature, covered with cling film or a cloth towel.
5. Divide the cake into eight equal parts.
6. Roll each piece as thin as possible by making a round cake plate.
7. On a well-heated pan fry the resulting tortillas without oil. First, cook the dough for about a minute on one side over medium heat, then turn it over and fry for about half a minute. Wheat tortiya stratified and inflated, it appears light golden tan.
8. Remove the finished cake from the heat, sprinkle with water and cover with a towel. In the same way fry the remaining cakes.
Another way of cooking wheat tortilla
Such products will be needed
• 350 g of wheat flour;
• 50 g butter;
• a pinch of salt;
• 190 ml of water at room temperature.
1. Pour water into the bowl, dissolve the salt in it. 2. Add lightly melted butter, flour and knead the dough. It should not be very tight.
3. Let the dough stand for about 20 minutes at room temperature by placing in a plastic bag or cling film.
4. Form a sausage from dough and cut it into 6 pieces of the same size.
5. Roll each piece into a layer about a millimeter thick. Fry each product in a frying pan without oil for several minutes on both sides.
Tortilla in olive oil
• 400 g of wheat flour;
• half a teaspoon of fine salt;
• 270 ml of warm water;
• 3 tbsp. spoons of olive oil.
Method of preparation
1. Add salt to the sifted flour and pour in olive oil.
2. Slowly add water to the mixture, stirring constantly.
3. Knead the dough and leave it to ripen for half an hour at room temperature, covered with a towel.
4. Divide the mixture into small cakes, roll out the pancakes.
5. Fry them on both sides.
Wheat corn tortilla recipe
For the test, we need
• half a glass of hot water;
• 25 g margarine;
• incomplete cup of wheat flour;
• incomplete cup of corn flour;
• a teaspoon of salt.
1. Mix two kinds of flour, add salt and margarine.
2. Grind the mixture into the crumb, pour in water and knead the dough.
3. After 25 minutes, divide it into 8 pieces of the same size, roll each ball as thinly as possible.
4. Fry the obtained pancakes in a well-heated pan without oil for about half a minute - a minute on each side.
5. Fold the tortillas in a pile under a rag towel so they do not dry out. When slightly cooled, can be placed in a plastic bag.
Wheat tortilla in vegetable oil
• half a kilogram of wheat flour;
• a teaspoon of baking powder;
• 100 g of vegetable oil;
• 310 ml of water;
• a teaspoon of salt.
1. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder.
2. Pour the vegetable oil into the mixture and mix well.
3. Slowly pour hot water into the resulting mass. Knead your hands soft and elastic dough. Leave it to stand in the room for about half an hour. 4. Divide the dough into small cakes, roll them as thin as possible.
5. The resulting pancakes fry for about a minute on each side.
6. Cover the tortillas from wheat flour with a clean towel, folding them up.
Spicy tortillas are prepared as a basis for rolls. The amount of pepper is regulated independently, depending on taste. Such a dish is not suitable for a children's table, but it is a good option for those who like spicy food.
• half a kilogram of wheat flour;
• 10 g of salt;
• 5 g baking powder;
• 100 g margarine;
• 300 ml of water;
• red pepper to taste.
1. Combine the sifted flour with salt and pepper.
2. Add the finely chopped margarine to the flour, stir the mixture.
3. Gradually pour in water, knead the dough. Leave it under a cloth towel for about half an hour.
4. Form small balls, roll them into cakes with a diameter of about 16-19 cm.
5. Fry the uncooked cakes in the pan for 50 seconds on each side.
Simple and tasty tortilla fillings
In Mexican cuisine, corn, beans and sweet peppers are often used as tortilla fillings. This dish is consumed with red pepper and spicy spicy sauce. The filling is prepared in advance, salted, if necessary, raw foods are fried in vegetable oil or boiled. Wheat tortilla is stuffed immediately before use. Here are some simple options for filling:
• 200 g of boiled red beans, 60 g of goat cheese, a couple of garlic cloves.
• 350 g chicken fillet, 150 g sweet peppers, 150 g onion, 150 g hard cheese, 200 g zucchini.
• 200 g soft cheese, 100 g boiled vegetables, a bit of green onions and dill, 2 spoons of tomato ketchup, 1 sweet pepper and 1 tomato.
• 200 g chicken fillet and champignons, 1 tomato, 1 onion, 2 sweet peppers, 100 g carrots.
• 350 g of bananas, 160 g of strawberries and 100 ml of heavy cream.
• 400 g ground beef, onion, 2 small tomatoes, 100 g cheese, fresh parsley, ground pepper.
• 150 g of ham, 100 g of durum cheese, 2 tbsp. spoons of corn, 3 tbsp. spoons of boiled rice, green onions. • 3 chicken eggs, a small zucchini, 50 g of cheese, a small onion, and 1 lettuce.
Wheat tortilla: Tricks and Tips
Some features of cooking flat cakes
• When kneading dough for tortilla, it is better to take softened butter, it is more convenient to work with it. The use of molten is not recommended, and too hard will be hard to grind with flour
• Freshly made wheat flour cakes are immediately placed in a plastic bag or under a damp towel so that they do not dry out. It is best to make them just before eating, so they are tastier and do not have to reheat the dish.
• Try not to fry wheat tortillas for more than a minute on each side, they can burn, they will not be so tasty.
• During cooking, some patches of pancake swell strongly. They can be pierced with a fork or toothpick to make the product more fried.
• Seasoning and greens will help to add spicy flavor to the dish. You can experiment, creating your ideal version of delicious tortilla made from wheat flour. They use parsley, dill, cilantro, oregano, cumin, coriander, various types of hot peppers, rosemary, nutmeg and green onions.
Be sure to cook wheat tortillas. An interesting dish will help diversify the menu of any family.