Potatoes are one of the most common vegetables and, perhaps, the most delicious.
How many nutritious and at the same time hearty meals can be made from it: roast, meatballs, pancakes, puffed meat and many other, less well-known. It often happens that after dinner or a holiday mashed potatoes remain, and the next day its taste leaves much to be desired.
We offer simple and original use of the remaining mashed potatoes - mouth-watering potato chunks, delicate patties with an appetizing golden crust, which are not easy to resist. And if you add them with mushrooms, cheese, some kind of stuffing or sauce, you won’t guess at all what mother is serving for dinner.
Potato Chips - General Cooking Principles
• Cakes are made from potato dough. It can be pounded in mashed potatoes, grated on a fine grater or boiled potatoes twisted in a meat grinder, mixed with additional components.
• Mashed potatoes should not be too saturated with moisture. It is usually cooked thicker than when served as a side dish. For chopping boiled potatoes on a grater, a surface with medium or small holes is used, and a fine-meshed grid is installed on the meat grinder. This is the only way to get a homogeneous dough for potato bits.
• The main recommendation - the potato base of the dough is prepared immediately after boiling the tubers or their pieces. Additional components, with the exception of butter, enter only after it cools.
• Before shaping the bits, so that the potato dough does not stick, palms are moistened with cold water. Semi-finished products mainly mold round shape, in the form of a small washer. For this, a portion of potato dough is rolled into a ball and flattened slightly. If the meatballs are cooked with the filling, they first form a thin flatbread, and spread the filling in the center. Fix the edges as when making cakes and only then give the desired shape. • Potato bits are usually fried in a pan, in hot vegetable oil, although you can also cook them in the oven if you wish. To do this, simply lay out the semi-finished products on a baking sheet and bake at 180 degrees until tender golden staining. Before frying, and sometimes when baking, potato chunks are breaded in breadcrumbs or flour.
• Served independently, under sauces, with sour cream or ketchup. For serving, you can use fresh or canned vegetables.
A simple recipe for fried potato chips in breading
• one kilogram of potatoes;
• two bulbs;
• 45 gr. wheat flour;
• three eggs;
• finely ground breadcrumbs;
• refined oil.
1. Clean the potatoes, cut the tubers into slices and set them to cook, in water with salt. On readiness from the pan with the potatoes, decant the whole broth, not pouring it. Mash potatoes, add a little butter, and gradually pour hot broth. The result should be mashed, more thick than you usually cook for a side dish. Cool
2. Put the pan on a small fire, pouring some oil into it. As soon as it warms up, lower the finely chopped onion and fry. Cooking, stirring, to transparency - you can even lightly browned.
3. Combine cooled onions and mashed potatoes. Thoroughly stirring, we introduce an egg that has been previously spread in the cup. We form a small size bits.
4. Take three small bowls. Pour two eggs into one and shake well. In the second place some flour, in the third - breadcrumbs.
5. First, roll the potato bits well into the flour, dip them into the egg and breaded in breadcrumbs. We spread in oil heated in a frying pan and fry. As soon as the bottom is noticeably reddened, we turn it over.
Potato chips with fish filling
• 700 g potatoes;
• 25 gr. butter;
• fresh large egg; • 100 gr. salmon fillet;
• flour - 80 gr .;
• sprig of parsley;
• one and a half tablespoons of sunflower, very pure oil.
1. Pre-cook thick mashed potatoes and set aside to cool. Then add the egg, add a little pepper, flour, salt.
2. Cut fish fillets into small slices and fry until cooked with a minimum of butter.
3. Chop the parsley. Mix greens and fried fillet, slightly knead the filling with a fork.
4. Hands moistened in water, rolled out of a small potato dough ball and press it to make a not too thick cake. Put in the center two teaspoons of fish stuffing and, bringing together and dazzling the edges, form a cue ball out of the resulting patty.
5. Heat the oil well in a thick-pan pan and dip the potato cues into it. Fry on medium high heat until golden brown, turn over and also fry the back side.
Potato patties with cheese, breaded in a pan
• five eggs;
• kilogram of potatoes;
• 50 ml of highly purified oil;
• cheese - 100 grams, of any kind;
• 50 gr. flour;
• small onion head;
• white breadcrumbs.
Pay attention! It is advisable to make the rusks themselves from a dried-up sliced loaf. Dry it additionally in the oven, not giving an unnecessary dark.
1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until ready. Cool in a colander.
2. Cut a small onion and place it in heated oil. Stirring, fry until golden brown.
3. We grind the cooled potatoes with small or medium grater, and add to it such cheese chips, a couple of raw eggs and cooled onions. Season with pepper, mix all ingredients thoroughly. After removing the sample, add salt if necessary.
4. We form bits and well roll them in flour. Before hot dip in a beaten egg, then breaded in breadcrumbs.
5. Cooking, putting in the heated oil, and fry until a uniform golden color on both sides.
Potato bits with a simple mushroom sauce
• a little more than a pound of fresh champignons;
• kilo of potatoes;
• three large onions;
• sunflower oil;
• breadcrumbs (white);
• Wheat flour.
1. Rinse and wash the peeled potatoes. We cut the tubers into medium-sized slices so that they can boil faster, put them on an intense fire, fill with water. After boiling, reduce the heat and add salt. Cook with the lid closed until done.
2. After stepping from the pan all the broth, we twist the slightly suspended slices of potatoes in a meat grinder, using the smallest grid.
3. While the mash cools down, in a vegetable oil until rudiness, we pass the finely chopped onion head. After cooling, lay out the onions to the potatoes, add some salt and mix thoroughly.
4. On the stove set two pans. In one, up to cream color, fry two tablespoons of flour. In another pan, pour about one and a half tablespoons of butter and heat well. Putting sliced mushrooms in neat plates, cook on medium heat.
5. As soon as the champignons extract the juice, decant it and add water to 250 milliliters. Fill it with the fried flour, stir it, break all the lumps, pour it to the mushrooms. Add the browned onions, add some salt, pour in the flour mixture. A quarter of an hour at the minimum heat stew mushrooms in a sauce.
6. At this time, we form small, oval-shaped meatballs from the potato mass. From all sides, crust in breadcrumbs and fry.
7. Arrange hot potato balls in plates, pour over mushroom sauce and serve.
Potato bits with liver filling
• two raw and boiled eggs;
• two bulbs;
• two spoons of white flour;
• vegetable oil;
• five large potatoes;
• a pound of chicken liver.
1. Carefully inspect the liver, get rid of the gallbladder, if there is one, remove the remaining fat. Then rinse well and lightly dry. 2. Warming up in a pan of spoons of butter, lower chopped onion. Fry until transparent, lay out the liver and, stirring, simmer for 10 minutes. Add boiled eggs cut into large slices and a little ground pepper. We continue to cook on low heat for another 10 minutes. At the end we add, remove from the stove and, after letting it cool down well, shred it with a knife.
3. Boil the potatoes in slightly salted water. Drain all the liquid, prepare mashed potatoes. Please note that using a blender is not recommended. It is best to knead the potatoes with a crush in a pinch to grind twice with a meat grinder.
4. Pour two eggs into the puree, add flour, and ground pepper. Stir well and, if required, add some salt.
5. We form small balls from the suspended potato mass and make shallow recesses in them. Fill with liver filling and firmly fasten the edges over it. Lightly press and give the beater to the desired shape.
6. Fry in a frying pan in a small amount of refined oil until a uniform blush appears on both sides.
Potato bits with mushrooms
When choosing oil, give preference to varieties that have a shade closer to orange than yellow. Such refined oil usually gives the crumbs more ruddy and crisp crust.
• four large potato tubers;
• fresh champignons - 200 gr .;
• fresh dill;
• sunflower, high-quality oil.
1. Fully boil down potatoes and decorate broth, cook mashed potatoes. Cool, season with pepper, sprinkle flour and mix thoroughly. A little dosoliv, enter the raw egg and chopped dill.
2. Cut the champignons with neat longitudinal plates. Put it in the pan, add a spoon of oil. Fry the mushrooms on medium heat until golden brown and mix in chilled with potato dough.
3. After wetting our hands with water, we form small bits of an oblong shape and fry them until light browning.
Potato patties with cheese and crab sticks
• 120-gram packaging of high-quality crab semi-finished products (chopsticks);
• small carrot;
• a raw egg;
• high-grade flour;
• 300 gr. potatoes;
• “Russian” cheese - 50 grams, always fresh.
1. Boil the potatoes, let them not cool completely, and skip through the finest grid of the meat grinder. Introduce the egg, priperchivaem and mix.
2. Cut the crab sticks into small-sized cubes, chop up the carrot cheese and carrot on a fine grater. Carefully listed ingredients, put them in potato dough.
3. Sprinkle flour over the table. Hooking a serving of potato dough with a large spoon, spread it onto flour and give the desired shape with a wide knife. Slam the surface of the bit with the flat side of the blade.
4. Fry, pouring oil into a thick-walled frying pan, until golden, do not cover with a lid.
Potato bits - cooking tips and helpful tips
• Broth in mashed potatoes pour gradually, in small portions. Stir well each time to better control its thickness.
• Interfere with the egg only in cold mashed potatoes, otherwise it will be rolled up immediately, and butter, on the contrary, only hot.
• If you replace the potato broth with hot milk, the taste of the chopsticks will be more intense.
• For frying try using sunflower oil mixed with cream. The surface of the potato bits will be reddened better, and the taste will be softer.