For lovers of spicy homemade dressings, I suggest trying to make mouth-watering herring rolls - rolls. The recipe for herring rolls came from Germany, although the Dutch claim that they were the first to create a variety of herring snacks, including rolls of rolls. This spicy herring snack - rollmops is popular in all Baltic countries, as is well known, pickled and pickled herring is a specialty dish there.
An interesting fact from the history of salting herring. Among the huge number of fish that has found use in cooking, herring has taken a special place. True, it did not immediately remove her to become a favorite on the table. For a long time, herring was not used for cooking because of an unpleasant taste. It is good that Willem Jacob Boykeljoon, an ordinary fisherman of a Dutch village, once had an extraordinary thought: remove gills from fish before salting.
Since then, many other dishes have appeared on the basis of this product, and this clever fisherman, the discoverer of the secrets of tasty salting herring, was erected a monument in his native village of Bierflint.
Today we will prepare a delicious snack - herring rolls, rolls, this dish is called in the Baltic States. This appetizing snack, tasty and spicy, at the table “flies” instantly with hot potatoes, mashed potatoes or even with a slice of bread in the form of a snack. Beer lovers will also appreciate herring rolls.
The following products are needed for making rolmopops:
• herring (preferably fresh, unsalted, or slightly salted, as the herring is marinated) - 2 pcs .;
• Bulgarian sweet pepper - 1 pc .; • carrot - 1 pc .;
• canned pickled cucumber (or gherkins); pickled cucumber can be used - 1 pc .;
• Onion - 1 - 2 pcs .;
• dining liquid mustard -2 tbsp. l
For marinade you will need:
• seasonings: a mixture of peas peas, bay leaf, cloves - to taste;
• vinegar (apple is better) - 0.5 st;
• water - 1 l;
• sunflower oil - 2 tbsp. l .;
• salt, sugar - 1 tbsp. l
Still need to be wooden toothpicks for bonding rolls when marinating.
* In my recipe, fresh herring is used, ready-made herring rolls reach the marinade - 24 hours. If you have salted herring, then keeping it in the marinade takes a day or even 7 to 8 hours. In this case, you need to try, as you like more to your taste - more spicy or more tender.
How to prepare the rollmops: recipe and photo
1. The longest job - cleaning herring. We'll have to gut the fish, cut off the heads, peel off the skins and remove all the bones. Slightly beat off the herring fillet (if the herring is fresh, elastic), or flatten the surface with your fingers. Get clean fillet, as in the photo. You can work with him in the future, collecting rollermops.
While herring let rest. Put water for cooking marinade on the stove.
2. Cooking marinade. Pour seasonings (pepper, lavrushka, cloves), salt and sugar into cold water.
3. While the water boils to prepare vegetables. First you can peel the onion and cut it into half rings.
The carrot is peeled, washed and cut into thin strips. The length of the strips of carrot should be equal to the width of the herring (as in the photo).
4. Then peel the sweet Bulgarian pepper and cut it into such strips.
5. Return to the saucepan where the marinade is made. As soon as bubbles appear, add sunflower oil and a little vinegar to the boiling water. Pour in the same prepared vegetables. Soak them in a boiling pot for 5 minutes.
Then take out the vegetables on a separate plate and leave the marinade to cool.
6. Next, cut the salted cucumber into such strips.
7. Now it’s time to roll up the rollmops. Pickled vegetables are placed on a strip of herring. There is also added a piece of cucumber.
Then the plate is rolled up and fixed with three toothpicks: above, below and in the middle. Then it will be convenient to cut when serving.
8. Put all prepared (rolled) rollermops fixed with wooden toothpicks into a deep bowl, pour over the cooled marinade. Return the rest of the vegetables there.
9. Herring rolls according to the recipe are kept in the marinade for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator or in a cold place.
On the table, rolls are served in a separate plate. You will have to cut it across, spread it out on the herringbone and garnish with pickled cucumbers, peppers, carrots, onion rings, and greens.
It turns out beautifully and unusually tasty.
In some recipes, rollmops are not cut, but served on the table with large rolls in the form of whole strips of herring fillets. You can also do this, as in the photo below, I personally prefer the small sliced rolls of rollmops. In any case, and so and so you get a delicious spicy herring snack.