The fact that dumplings are Russian food does not quite correspond to reality. They are popular in any kitchen. For example, Uzbek chuchvara or Georgian khinkali are essentially the same dumplings.
Different types of ravioli can differ from each other both in shape and filling. But in any case, these small pies are small cakes cooked in a special way and boiled in boiling water or broth.
Dough for ravioli use unleavened. Excellent products are obtained from wheat flour of the highest grade, as it has the best gluten, white color and good taste.
So that the dough does not fall apart during heat treatment, it is kneaded on eggs.
Some housewives add vegetable oil to the dough, which improves its taste.
In recent years, many are preparing the dough for dumplings on kefir. It turns out white, elastic, pliable. And products from it have a pleasant delicate taste and are not so heavy for the stomach.
In order for the dumplings to not be unstuck while cooking and get tasty, you need to adhere to the established proportions of flour and liquid.
- 200 ml of liquid are taken per 500 g of flour. And here comes the egg. That is, you need to take a glass, break an egg into it and add water to the top.
From this amount of ingredients you make a stiff dough. To make it easier for them to work, they cover it with a damp cloth or put it in a plastic bag and allow it to rest for half an hour.
Immediately after modeling, the dumplings are boiled.
But some gourmets believe that it is recommended to freeze them to improve the taste, and then just boil it.
How to cook dumplings in a pan
- Water is poured into a saucepan at the rate of 4 liters of liquid per 1 kg of ravioli.
- Put 40 g of salt (this is the same amount of water).
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Lower the dumplings alternately, stirring with a spoon. You should not throw the entire batch at once, otherwise the temperature drops sharply and the water does not boil again for a long time. As a result, dumplings can stick together, limp, stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the dishes with a lid and bring to a boil over the biggest fire.
- As soon as the water boils, the dumplings are stirred, the fire is reduced, and the lid is opened slightly. Make sure that the low boiling does not stop, otherwise the dumplings will settle to the bottom.
- As soon as they come up, note time and cooking continues for 7-8 minutes.
- With the help of a skimmer, they take ready-made ravioli from a pan, spread it on a plate and pour it with melted butter, sour cream, ketchup or any sauce. They are also served in the form of a first dish - with broth.
How to cook dumplings in the microwave
Microwave is in almost every home. But not everyone knows that not only soups can be cooked in it, but also dumplings.
- Pour about a liter of water into a special dish, put salt and bring to a boil.
- Dumpling dumplings, gently stir.
- Close the lid loosely.
- Put in a microwave, which is turned on at full capacity.
- Cook 7 minutes. To dumplings are not stuck to the bottom and are not stuck together, they are mixed in the middle of cooking.
- With the help of skimmers, dumplings are taken from the broth and served with butter, sour cream or broth.
If you need to cook a portion of dumplings, but there is no suitable pan, you can use a deep plate that withstands the heating in the oven.
- Dumplings are spread in a single layer in a layer.
- Pour half a cup of hot water. In this case, the dumplings will be covered with liquid only half. Lightly salt.
- Cover the dishes with a lid or second inverted plate and put in a microwave.
- Cook at full power for about 10 minutes. With this method, dumplings are prepared almost steamed and are not worse than boiled in water.
How to cook dumplings in a slow cooker
Some hostesses claim that the multicooker is so multifunctional thing that it can safely replace the gas stove. And in it you can not only bake a pie, stew potatoes, cook borsch, but also cook dumplings.
However, the hostess should be well aware of the possibilities of her multicooker, in order to choose the program in which water poured into the bowl boils, but does not boil.
The survey showed that the functions “Steaming” or “Baking” are best suited for cooking dumplings. But “Quenching / Soup” is considered by many to be not very successful for making dumplings, because when you turn on this program, the process is delayed, and dumplings are limp. But again, it depends on the power and capabilities of the multicooker.
If the program is selected, you can start cooking dumplings.
- Pour about 1.5 liters of water for 10-15 dumplings into a bowl.
- Salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Dumplings are lowered alternately to keep the water boiling.
- Stir the contents of the bowl with a special spoon.
- After surfacing, dumplings are boiled for 7-8 minutes. At the same time the lid is not closed so that the foam does not flood the heating element.
- Ready dumplings get out of the broth with a slotted spoon.
How to cook dumplings in a double boiler
With the help of this kitchen equipment you can cook not only manti, vegetables and meat, but also dumplings.
True, they differ from boiled in water in that they are more dense and dry. But for some it is not a minus, but a plus. After all, the dumplings boiled in this way are excellent for roasting.
- The steamers are oiled.
- Spread dumplings into it at a short distance from each other.
- Install the bowl on the double boiler. In this case, the water tank must be filled to the maximum mark.
- Include a double boiler in the network.
- Cook the dumplings for about 20-25 minutes.
- Finished products are oiled or served with sour cream.
- If you need to cook a large number of dumplings, it is better to do it in several stages.
- To make the dumplings tastier, they are boiled in broth.
- Juicy and flavorful dumplings are made from mixed minced meat. But from one ground beef they are often hard and dry.
- If the dumplings are harvested for the future, neither the dough nor the minced meat is salted. And the more they do not put onions. Otherwise, with long storage, dumplings darken and get an unpleasant smell.
- To improve the taste, various spices and herbs are added to the water when cooking dumplings.
- The uneaten dumplings are never left in the water. They need to put on a plate, cool and put in the fridge.