Lamb dishes are popular all over the world because of their unique taste. Lamb chops are not the most expensive meat product, but you can make a lot of different dishes and snacks out of them. If you cook lamb chops with potatoes in the oven, you get a complete dish, in which there is both meat and a side dish. At the same time, the potatoes, soaked with the juice and aroma of lamb, becomes especially tasty.
Whichever method of cooking you choose, you need to know several features of the selection and cooking of lamb ribs. It is worth considering that their roasting in the oven with potatoes also has its own specifics.
- The ribs of the baby lamb are the most tender and tasty. When buying, you can easily distinguish them from the ribs of an old sheep by the light, white or almost white color of the fat, as well as by the small size.
- Frozen ribs are not suitable for baking or stewing in the oven, as they are not juicy. The fact is that during freezing and subsequent defrosting the structure of the meat changes slightly, it loses liquid. The ribs are cooked for a long time, and if there is little juice in them, they end up dry and tasteless. If you have no choice and it’s cooking exactly frozen ribs, defrost them properly. By letting them thaw out in the refrigerator, you minimize the risk of meat loss of moisture, but by defrosting the product in the microwave or water, you increase this risk. So the rush will not lead to anything good.
- Faster ribs are cooked if you marinate them before. In addition, the spices and spices that make up the marinade, will make the dish more tasty and fragrant. The only wish is: do not add salt to the marinade, as it draws liquid from the products. Salt the ribs can be only before you send them to the oven, not before.
- To “seal” the juice inside the ribs, you can fry them over medium heat, and then bake according to the instructions in the recipe.
- When cooking ribs with potatoes in the oven, spread them over vegetables. In this case, the juice that will flow out of the ribs when baking, will soak the potatoes and other products that make up the dish, so that its taste and aroma will be brighter and more saturated.
- To make ribs when baked in the oven turned out juicy, you can use foil or culinary sleeve. However, in this case, the ribs do not brown.
Despite the fact that lamb chops with potatoes is a self-sufficient dish, tomato sauce, fresh, salted or pickled vegetables can be served with it. With them the dish will only win.
Lamb chops with potatoes and rosemary
- lamb ribs - 2 kg;
- potatoes - 1 kg;
- garlic - 4 cloves;
- rosemary - 4 sprigs;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- olive oil - 40 ml;
- salt, seasonings - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Wash mutton ribs. Chop them into portions. If you have ribs of a young lamb, you can leave 2 bones in each piece, if the ribs are large - one. After separation into pieces, the ribs should be washed again, so that there are no bone fragments left on them, and dried with paper napkins.
- Cook the marinade. To do this, in a small container squeeze the juice from a whole lemon. Grate lemon zest on a fine grater - no more than a teaspoon is needed. Put the zest in lemon juice. Crush the garlic in a garlic basket, mash the rosemary and put it in the juice along with other spices.
- Treat the marinated lamb chops and place them in the fridge for an hour.
- Peel the potatoes, chop them up like french fries. Add to it seasonings to taste, lightly salt it. Pour in the potato oil, mix it and put in a baking dish. Before this, foil can be laid in the mold, although this is not necessary.
- Remove the pickled ribs from the fridge, add salt and place on the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and put the form with ribs in it, covering them with foil. Bake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil. Continue baking for another 40 minutes, 20 minutes before being cooked, turning the ribs to the other side. If it seems to you that the potato starts to burn, add some water or broth to the form.
When serving, the dish can be decorated with sprigs of fresh rosemary, lemon slices. Seductive aroma of this dish is unlikely anyone can leave indifferent.
Lamb chops with potatoes and eggplants
- lamb ribs - 0.5 kg;
- potatoes - 0.5 kg;
- eggplants - 0.5 kg;
- sweet pepper - 0, 4 kg;
- onions - 100 g;
- carrots - 150 g;
- tomatoes - 150 g;
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- basil (dried) - 5 g;
- dried savory - 5 g;
- olive oil - as required;
- salt, pepper - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Wash lamb ribs, pat dry with paper napkins, cut into small pieces, 1-2 ribs each.
- Mix two tablespoons of oil with herbs, add to this mixture pepper and garlic crushed by a special press. Cover the mixture with the prepared lamb chops and put them in the refrigerator for an hour. As long as the ribs are marinated, you will have plenty of time to prepare the vegetables.
- Cut eggplants into circles about 0.5 mm thick. Fill them with two liters of water, after having dissolved two tablespoons of salt in it. Leave for 20 minutes, then rinse and dry.
- Peel the carrots, chop them on a coarse grater.
- Remove the husks from the bulb. Cut the onion into small pieces.
- Cut tomatoes into thin slices with a sharp knife.
- Sweet pepper wash. Cut the stalk, remove the seeds. Cut the flesh of pepper into squares about 1 cm in size or quarters of rings.
- Peel and slice the potatoes, no more than 2 mm thick.
- Heat oil in a pan. Roast potatoes, eggplants, onions with carrots, sweet peppers in turn. Pepper mix with onions and carrots.
- Put the roasted potatoes in a culinary sleeve, salt and pepper. You can sprinkle dried basil.
- Place the eggplant circles on top.
- Put on them a mixture of onions, carrots and peppers.
- Remove the lamb chops from the marinade and fry them in a clean pan. In this case, you can add a little fat tail or oil.
- Place the roasted ribs in the sleeve on the vegetables.
- Place tomato cups on ribs.
- Tie the sleeve on both sides. With a toothpick make some small holes in it. They are needed for steam to escape, so that it does not tear the sleeve when baking the dish.
- Place the cooking sleeve on a baking sheet and place it in an oven warmed to 220 degrees. The first half hour cook lamb chops with potatoes at this temperature. After that, reduce the temperature to 180 degrees and continue cooking the dish for another hour.
The finished dish exudes such an enchanting aroma that it is impossible to resist. Ribs are tender, juicy, potatoes and eggplants are soft and fragrant.
Lamb chops with potatoes is a nourishing and very tasty dish. It can be easily cooked in the oven. If you use foil or culinary sleeve, the ribs will remain juicy.