Coconut is an exotic product that grows on the islands of the South Pacific. In places where coconut grows, it is one of the basic foods available. Locals get more than 60% of the daily calorie from coconuts and their derivatives. At the same time they can boast of excellent health. Where palm trees do not grow with the cherished coconuts, people most often use coconut oil. It is not inferior to the fetus in any way, therefore it can be effective in many areas - in culinary, cosmetology, medicine. Even in the household, he found a worthy use - by means of it they polish wooden furniture.
Now coconut oil is a unique product, but as such it has become relatively recently. Coconut oil was not loved for a long time because it consists of 90% saturated fat. After conducting a series of experiments and years of research, scientists have concluded that the saturated fats of coconut oil are different from the saturated fats of animal origin. They even got a special name - medium chain triglycerides. CTL, in contrast to long-chain triglycerides, does not have any negative effect on human health. This is due to the fact that the saturated fats present in coconut oil are metabolized in a special way - after being released into the gastrointestinal tract, they are sent to the liver, where they are used as a fast source of energy or converted to ketone bodies. Thanks to this evidence, coconut oil has become widespread, and now many people use it to preserve health and beauty for many, many years.
Extraction and benefits of coconut oil
Coconut oil is a product of coconut pulp processing - Copra. To get the oil, the copra is first separated from the hard shell, then it is dried, crushed, and only then compressed. Manufacturers produce coconut oil in two ways: cold and hot spin. With the help of the first method, a high-quality product is obtained, in which the maximum benefit is saved, respectively, it is more expensive. The second method differs in that it allows to extract much more oil from the pulp of the fruit, but since the raw material is exposed to high temperatures and chemicals, the final product contains less biologically active components. In other words, in the first case, unrefined oil is formed, which is suitable for culinary purposes, healing the body, and caring for the body and hair. Refined coconut oil is most often used for skin care. To care for hair and body, it also applies.
Coconut oil has a look unusual for vegetable oils. It can be in the form of whitish-creamy liquid with a thick consistency, and in the form of solid pieces that resemble soap. Because of the dense texture of such oils are called butters. The coconut batter in a cold room is in a frozen state, and when heated to 25 degrees it begins to quickly melt and instead of white it becomes transparent. As for unrefined coconut oil, it has a sweetish smell and taste. Refined oil has no pronounced smell and has a fried taste.
If we talk about the composition of coconut oil, then it is based on polysaturated fatty acids, not synthesized by the human body, which can only be obtained from the outside. Coconut oil contains caprylic, capric, myristic, oleic, linolenic, stearic, lauric, palmitic, arachidonic fatty acids. In addition, this product contains calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, selenium, copper, potassium, zinc, iron, sodium, iodine, manganese, beta-carotene, a group of vitamins B, vitamins C, A, E, H, and PP. Thanks to such an impressive amount of biologically active substances, coconut oil also provides such an invaluable benefit to the body.
Coconut Oil for Health
- Due to the fact that coconut oil is able to increase the level of ketone bodies in the blood, it is used to improve the condition of people suffering from Alzheimer's. This is due to the fact that ketones produced during the intake of oil, become an alternative source of energy for cells that are not able to properly convert glucose into energy. Scientifically confirmed that patients with this disease feel much better and calmer.
- Also, due to ketone bodies, coconut oil is used in the treatment of pediatric epilepsy. In particular, it is used when there are no positive changes in the treatment with medicines. Ketones, which are formed due to the metabolism of coconut oil fatty acids, reduce the number of seizures.
- In a positive way, coconut oil acts on the gastrointestinal tract. Firstly, it has a softening effect; secondly, it normalizes the digestive process; thirdly, it copes well with infections and stops inflammatory processes; fourth, it accelerates the speed of the regeneration process, that is, the mucosa recovers much faster. In addition, through this product, you can get rid of such problems as heartburn.
- Medium chain coconut triglycerides have a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system. With their help, the amount of high-density lipoproteins increases, that is, “good” cholesterol. The level of low-density lipoproteins, the “bad” cholesterol, on the contrary, becomes lower. Coconut oil, in addition to restoring the lipid profile, also normalizes the functioning of the system responsible for blood clotting and anticoagulability. Thus, vegetable oil significantly reduces the risk of various ailments of the heart and blood vessels.
- Coconut Butter helps improve the immune system. Taking oil regularly, you provide the body with reliable protection against pathogenic microorganisms - viruses and bacteria. Coconut oil will also help in the event that an infectious disease has already arisen - it will speed up the healing process.
- The antioxidant properties of coconut oil are important for the body because it helps to eliminate the activity of reactive oxygen species. Free radicals, so called these destructive compounds, destroy the membranes of healthy cells, thereby disrupting their work. As a result, the cells die, which leads to disruptions in the work of the whole organism as a whole - it starts to fade prematurely.
- By taking the coconut batter, you can stop the development of caries and other abnormalities associated with the condition of the teeth and gums. Plus it helps to avoid the occurrence of diseases of the joints. This is explained by the fact that coconut oil, or rather, the substances it contains, improves the absorption of minerals such as magnesium and calcium. These minerals are actively involved in the formation of both tooth enamel and bone tissue.
- Since coconut oil is a product with a high content of lauric acid, which is part of the breast milk, it is recommended to use it for nursing mothers in order to increase the protective function of the newborn, that is, immunity.
- The benefit of coconut oil for the human body is also that it has a calming and relaxing effect, that is, it is a natural anti-stress agent. In addition, after the adoption of the batter, qualities such as endurance and working capacity increase.
- Coconut oil has proven itself in the fight against fatty deposits, not only subcutaneous. It helps to burn visceral fat, the excess of which squeezes the internal organs, which leads to disruption of their blood supply and functioning. Coconut pulp oil increases daily energy consumption and speeds up metabolic processes, which leads to weight loss. It is also worth noting that it reduces appetite and eliminates the feeling of hunger. Proof of this are scientific studies, which showed that when taking coconut oil, waist volumes are reduced by 1 centimeter per month. It should be emphasized that during this experiment, the subjects did not make any effort to reduce the fat layer.
- Experts also note that vegetable coconut oil is also useful in diabetes, because it restores normal blood glucose levels.
- Coconut oil is recommended to be used as a prophylactic agent due to the fact that it protects against the development of urolithiasis and gallstone diseases, oncology and diseases caused by failures in the endocrine system.
- The coconut batter is quite demanded in the dermatological area. It is able to overcome the ailments provoked by the Candida fungus, and is also effective in the treatment of dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, depriving, and even ringworm. In addition to all listed coconut oil will help to cope with herpetic eruptions, relieve itching and irritation after insect bites, speed up the healing of bruises and wounds on the skin. It is also worth noting that the coconut pulp does very well with diaper rash in newborn babies.
Coconut Oil for Skin
- Coconut oil is in high esteem for those who follow the health and beauty of their skin. It is recommended for people with dry skin prone to irritation and flaking. It is also suitable for the care of hardened, inflamed, fading skin and even the delicate skin around the eyes, neck and decollete. Coconut oil is beneficial for the dermis due to its softening, moisturizing, regenerating, regenerating, anti-acne and anti-aging properties.
- Also, vegetable coconut oil can be used as a cleansing agent, and with its help not only impurities are removed, but also makeup. In addition, it removes toxins from the skin.
- Coconut oil is inherently powerful protective property, that is, it protects from wind, frost and sun. Especially well it protects the epidermis from exposure to ultraviolet rays. It is proved that it blocks up to 20% ultraviolet. Also, the product is great for skin care after tanning.
- Copra oil is good for massaging - it can relax muscles and improve the therapeutic effect of the procedure. The product can be used for anti-cellulite massage. Making a massage with coconut oil, you get an extra bonus - velvety, soft and smooth skin.
- Coconut oil, due to its regenerative and tightening properties, can relieve stretch marks, but only from those that have been formed in recent times.
- Under the influence of a coconut butter, the acid-base and lipid-protein balance of the skin are normalized.
Coconut Oil for Hair
The hair will change noticeably if you include coconut oil in its care. It is useful for curls at once for several reasons. Coconut pulp oil envelops hair shafts, thus providing them with protection from external stimuli; nourishes the scalp and hair with moisture and nutritional components; prevents cross-section and hair loss; relieves irritation and dandruff of the skin of the head; stimulates hair growth; takes part in the restoration of the hair shaft structure. In other words, as a result of using this product, the strands are strengthened, become soft, docile and shiny.
Coconut Oil in Cooking
Coconut oil is highly valued in culinary art, not only because it can add sophistication to even the most ordinary food. He is also loved for the fact that it is stored for a long time, does not become rancid, and, most importantly, does not become carcinogenic when heated to high temperatures, which cannot be said of other vegetable oils. Coconut pulp oil is used in cooking when preparing hot dishes - soups, cereal side dishes, pasta, hot appetizers, sauces and vegetable dishes. It also adds flavor to baked goods and pastries. Moreover, the pastry, which contains coconut oil, remains lush and fresh longer. Coconut butter is also suitable for cooking vegetable stews and stewing any vegetables. This product is perfectly combined with sweet porridges, milkshakes, milk soups and hot chocolate. If desired, you can grease the bread and toast with coconut oil, as well as add it to the salad. Just keep in mind that vegetables should definitely be at room temperature, otherwise the butter crystallizes.
Damage to coconut oil
Coconut butter, despite the fact that it can provide such a huge benefit to the human body, still has some contraindications.
- First, coconut oil can cause allergies. Using it externally, first make an allergy test, that is, treat the skin on the elbow with a small amount of this product, and then wait at least 60 minutes. During this time, if there is individual intolerance, redness, irritation and itching will appear on the skin. Taking coconut oil inside, you need to carefully monitor the condition of the body, since allergies may not appear immediately, but even after several applications.
- Secondly, because of the high content of fats in its composition, coconut vegetable oil can provoke irritation of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as lead to exacerbation of diseases such as cholecystitis and chronic pancreatitis.
- Thirdly, oil from copra, if used in excess, will adversely affect the metabolism, which, in turn, will lead to weight gain. It is recommended to take no more than 2 tablespoons of coconut oil per day.
Use coconut oil, considering its benefit and harm, and then you will be able to maintain your health, youth and beauty at the proper level.