Meat in French is now widely known and very popular.
Well, before, the baked potato dish with meat was called the captain's.
It was prepared on major holidays, and eagerly awaited the appearance on the table.
According to history, this dish was prepared by the wives of sailors on the return of the beloved from swimming. But now this is not necessary and the captain's meat can be cooked on any occasion without it.
But how to do that?
Captain-style meat - general principles of cooking
Pork is mainly used for the dish. The meat is cut into thin plates from 0.5 to 1.5 centimeters and beats off with a kitchen hammer. Then the pieces are rubbed with spices, sometimes they use sauces and leave to marinate.
Onions - a mandatory ingredient of the dish. Its added a lot. Onions are cut into half rings and laid out on a baking sheet in the first layer, then the meat goes and only after it is potatoes. It is laid raw or pre-boiled until half cooked.
What else can be added to the dish:
• various spices.
Pour the dish with sauces based on mayonnaise or sour cream. Sometimes used bechamel milk sauce. And on top of all covered with a layer of cheese. Preparing the dish in the oven. Usually at a temperature of 180 to 200 degrees.
Recipe 1: Captain's Meat with Potatoes and Cheese
The classic recipe for captain's meat, which requires raw potatoes. We use pork, tastes best from a tender neck, But you can use any other part of the carcass.
• 500 grams of pork;
• 220 grams of Dutch cheese;
• 1 kg of potatoes;
• 4 onions;
• 50 grams of mayonnaise;
• 50 grams of sour cream;
• 1 glass of water;
1. Take some vegetable oil and grease a baking sheet.
2. Cut the peeled onions into ringlets and stack them in the first layer.
3. Pork should be cut into slices, as for chops. We knock with two sides with a hammer, rub with spices, lay out an even layer over the onion rings.
4. Clean the potatoes, wash and cut into thin strips. It is not necessary to do large dishes for this, otherwise the pieces will remain raw. Right in a bowl, mix with salt, pepper and spread on top of the pieces of meat. 5. Dilute mayonnaise and sour cream in water, stir well and pour the sauce into a baking sheet.
6. Sprinkle cheese with grated small chips and set in the oven at 200 degrees.
7. Previously, the dish was covered with a second baking sheet so that the cheese did not dry and the potatoes had to be baked, but today everything is easier, you can use foil.
8. As soon as the potatoes begin to pierce easily, remove the protective cover and fry the captain's dish to a crust.
Recipe 2: Captain's Meat with Boiled Potatoes and Tomatoes
Captain-style meat recipe with boiled potatoes. Pork chops are used. Tomatoes choose dense, so they are amenable to cutting neat circles.
• 1 kg pork chops;
• 4 onions;
• 600 grams of boiled almost until cooked potatoes;
• 200 grams of cheese;
• about 300 grams of tomatoes;
• 150 grams of sour cream;
• 1 spoonful of flour;
• 2 tablespoons butter;
• 1.5 glasses of water.
1. On a greased baking tray lay a layer of sliced onion half rings.
2. Top scatter pepper and salted pork chops.
3. Cut the tomatoes into circles and place them on the pork.
4. Cut the boiled potatoes into slices and lay them on top of the tomatoes. Be sure to salt and pepper.
5. Now prepare the sauce of sour cream. To do this, heat the butter well in the pan, add the flour and lightly fry. We enter sour cream, we stir, that lumps did not appear. At last we introduce water, spices.
6. Pour the sauce on a baking sheet, try to water the products evenly.
7. Sprinkle with cheese and send to bake for forty minutes.
Recipe 3: Captain-style Meat with Mushrooms
The recipe is very fragrant and tasty meat in a captain's way, in which no potatoes are added. But the dish is prepared with mushrooms. We take ordinary champignons, fresh.
• 0.7 kg of pork;
• 0.22 kg of cheese;
• 0.2 kg sour cream;
• 0.5 kg of mushrooms;
• 0.5 kg of onions;
• vegetable oil.
1. We wash the pork, remove from the surface of the pieces of the film, leaving grease. Cut into plates one centimeter, beat off on both sides.
2. Rub the pieces with pepper and salt, put in a bowl and let lie a little. 3. Mushrooms cut plates and fry in a skillet with vegetable oil for about ten minutes, no longer needed. Then add sour cream and spices, stir.
4. Clean the onions, cut into half rings.
5. We grease a baking sheet and we spread on it 2/3 onions.
6. Onion lay out the pieces of meat.
7. Now sprinkle with the remaining half-rings of the onion, and on the top lay out the fried mushrooms with sour cream.
8. The final touch is grated cheese. The shavings should be large so that the crust does not burn ahead of time.
9. Put the dish in the oven, in which we bake at 190 degrees until fully cooked.
Recipe 4: Captain-style Meat with Bechamel Sauce
Many believe that for the preparation of real meat in a captain's style, bechamel sauce is needed. In fact, this is one of the most popular versions of this dish. Bechamel provides juicy mass and potatoes, which are used boiled.
• 2 onions;
• 0.5 kg of tenderloin;
• 0.1 kg of cheese;
• 3-4 potatoes;
• 400 ml of milk;
• 50 grams of butter;
• 20 ml of vegetable oil;
• 20 grams of flour;
1. In a skillet, melt butter and fry flour in it. Add a thin stream of milk, vigorously stir with a spatula. Salt sauce and boil until lightly thickened. Turn off.
2. Boil the potatoes almost until ready, cool, peel and cut into plates of 4 millimeters.
3. Shred the onion in half rings. Spread on a pan with vegetable oil.
4. We strip the pork tenderloin on chops, lightly knock with a hammer and powder with spices, send them to the onions.
5. Place the potato circles on top of the pork and pour the whole dish with bechamel sauce.
6. Fall asleep cheese and in the oven! We bake an average of forty minutes, set 200 degrees.
Recipe 5: Captain-style meat with soy sauce (veal)
Captain meat is rarely cooked from beef, as it can be hard and dry. But tender and young veal can be cooked very tasty, especially if you marinate it in advance in soy sauce.
• 80 ml of soy sauce;
• 700 grams of veal;
• 1 spoon of ketchup;
• 800 grams of potatoes;
• 400 grams of onions; • 200 ml sour cream;
• 280 grams of cheese;
1. Cut the veal into plates of 5-7 millimeters, beat off.
2. Combine the soy sauce with a spoon of sour cream, a spoon of ketchup, add salt and pepper, mix well and rub on both sides of the veal. Fold in a bowl, the remnants of the sauce can simply be poured on top. Leave for an hour, maybe longer.
3. Cut the onion rings, send in a greased baking sheet.
4. Spread veal marinated in soy sauce.
5. Now a layer of potatoes to be cut into thin straws, salt and mix with the remaining sour cream.
6. Completes the assembly of grated cheese.
7. Send the captain's meat to bake for 50 minutes, cook for the first half hour, cover with a baking sheet or foil, and then fry well. You can at the end add the temperature.
Captain-style meat - tips and tricks
• No need to pour too thick a layer of cheese on the meat. Under the massive crust, the potatoes will not be very tasty, and it will be problematic to put such a dish.
• To make cheese crust on meat turned out beautiful and golden-brown, you can turn on the upper grill at the end. It is available in almost all electric ovens.
• If the cheese crust roasted ahead of time, and the meat and potatoes are still raw, you can smear the top with sour cream or cover it with a new layer of cheese.
• You can marinate not only meat, but also potatoes. If you have cleaned it ahead of time, then just add spices, sour cream or mayonnaise, mix and let it wait in the wings. So it does not darken and will be even more delicious.
• The dish will have a different taste if the onion is marinated in vinegar for it. You can use not only vinegar, but also apple or wine.