Often the housewives use beets in their kitchens is very limited, except that only for cooking borscht, beetroot soup, and vinaigrette with herring under a fur coat.
Meanwhile, the use of this vegetable in cooking in different countries is very common, because beets are not only very useful for the human body, but also very tasty.
Beets in a mandatory manner should be included in the diet, in its composition there are substances that have a positive effect on the process of blood formation.
Also, due to the content of iodine, beets are eaten to prevent diseases of the thyroid and liver.
However, it is worth noting that it is contraindicated in osteoporosis, as it does not fully absorb calcium.
Also, because of its sugar content, it is not recommended for people with diabetes.
Roasted Beets - General Cooking Principles
We used to cook, bake, stew beets, eat it raw, but the fact that you can also fry beets is not widely known. Meanwhile, roasted beets and dishes from it are bright, fragrant, very tasty and also useful.
Beets can be fried with spices, herbs, garlic. With the addition of various vegetables: onions, potatoes, cabbage, carrots. And also with meat, chicken, mushrooms. Roasted beets make great salads and canned for the winter. Due to this type of heat treatment, the vegetable acquires an interesting taste, while maintaining its useful qualities.
Roast beets in raw or pre-cooked form, cut into cubes, slices, layers, thin circles, or rubbed on a grater. Use for roasting any vegetable or butter. To give new flavor notes during cooking add dried herbs, ginger, cloves. You can also sprinkle ready beets with lemon juice or balsamic vinegar. Roasted beets are not only a tasty cold snack, but also an original hot side dish for meat, fish, and chicken. You can also add it to salads, thereby diversifying the look and taste of the salad.
The sweet taste of roasted beets will be enjoyed by a small gourmet who had not perceived a vegetable before. Cut the beets into thin plates, cut out animal figures from the plates - for this purpose, you can use ordinary cookie cutters, you will need to press on the form with a little effort. Next, fry the beets in sweet butter, without adding hot spices, lightly salted. Serve your kids for lunch with meat or homemade sausages.
Recipe 1. Roasted beets with spices
• two large beets;
• 50-70 grams of butter;
• one onion;
• a tablespoon of wheat flour;
• on a pinch of cloves, ground ginger, black pepper, nutmeg.
1. Rinse the beets thoroughly, peel and cut into fairly large slices.
2. Cut the peeled onion into small cubes and sprinkle with flour.
3. Heat the butter in a frying pan, fry the onion on it until a delicious golden crust. Stir the onions periodically so that it does not burn, otherwise the dish will acquire an unpleasant rancid taste.
4. Place beetroot on golden onion, add spices and salt to taste.
5. Fry the beets with onions for about 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Once or twice during frying, you can pour in some boiled water so that the beets do not turn out dry.
6. Ready beets can be served as an original side dish to any meat dish or as a cold snack. Before serving, it is recommended to sprinkle roasted beets with vinegar to taste.
Recipe 2. Roasted beets with potatoes
• five large potato tubers; • large beets;
• 4-5 cloves of garlic;
• a teaspoon of mustard seed;
• salt pepper;
• dill, parsley;
• sunflower oil.
1. Thoroughly wash the potatoes, peel, cut into small pieces.
2. Also peeled and washed beets cut into thin strips.
3. Peel the garlic and chop it in a mortar or finely chop it and then crush the knife with the flat surface.
4. Heat oil in a deep frying pan, put mustard seeds in the oil. As soon as the seeds are warm and start “firing”, put in the pan half of the crushed garlic and beets.
5. Intensively stirring with a spoon, fry the beets until lightly crusted.
6. As soon as the vegetable grabs, cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat, fry the beets, stirring for 10 minutes.
7. Add a little fire, put the potatoes, mix. Cook, stirring, until softened.
8. At the end of cooking, salt the dish, pepper, add the remaining garlic and finely chopped greens.
9. Mix all ingredients gently, cover the pan with a lid. Turn off the fire, and leave the frying pan with roasted beets on the stove for a few minutes so that the beets and potatoes are soaked with the aromas of garlic and greens.
10. The dish is served hot.
Recipe 3. Roasted beets with garlic and greens
• two medium-sized beets;
• 3-4 cloves of garlic;
• green onion feathers, parsley leaves;
• salt, pepper, olive oil.
1. Rinse, peel and slice the beets.
2. Heat the pan, pour 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, put the prepared beets.
3. Fry the beets, stirring occasionally, covering the pan with a lid for 10 to 15 minutes. You can determine the readiness of beets by sticking a plug into it.
4. Peel the garlic and pass through the garlic press. Depending on your taste preferences, you can take more or less garlic. 5. Rinse greens and lightly shake to get rid of excess water.
6. Take the finished beets into a deep plate, salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with garlic. Stir and cover the roasted beets for 5 minutes with a lid, letting it soak in the aroma and taste of garlic and spices.
7. Before serving, sprinkle chilled beets with prepared chopped greens.
Recipe 4. Roast Beet Salad
• half a kilo of beets;
• 60 grams of sweet butter;
• 1/2 Art. spoons of sugar;
• half a lemon;
• salt, black ground pepper.
1. Put the peeled beets in a saucepan, cover with water, add a teaspoon of sugar. Boil about 40 minutes until cooked.
2. Remove the finished beets from boiling water, cool, then rub on a coarse grater.
3. Put the beets in butter melted in a pan, fry, stirring, 10 minutes.
4. Serve the finished beets in cool form, sprinkled with salt, black pepper and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Recipe 5. Warm roasted beet salad with meat
• large beets;
• three carrots;
• 350 grams of lean pork (can be replaced with chicken fillet);
• vegetable oil, salt, spices;
• mayonnaise or sour cream (80-120 grams).
1. Prepare the vegetables for the salad: wash, peel and dry the beets, carrots and onions.
2. Grate carrot and beetroot on the middle segment of grater separately from each other. Onions cut the thinnest half rings. Slightly remember the onion with your hands, softening it, but not breaking.
3. Fry the carrot in vegetable oil in a small frying pan until tender sweetheart, pour in water and simmer until soft.
4. In another pan, fry, slightly salted, beets.
5. Rinse the meat, cut into cubes, salt, season with spices. Fry separately from vegetables until tender.
6. Mix in a deep bowl all the prepared and slightly cooled ingredients, add onions and if necessary salt. Season with mayonnaise. 7. Serve warm beetroot salad, garnished with parsley and dill leaves.
6. Roasted beets with onions for the winter
• kilogram of onions;
• three kilo beets;
• tablespoon of salt;
• a glass of vegetable oil;
• 2 tablespoons of 9% vinegar;
• teaspoon of paprika;
• ground black pepper.
1. Wash the beets, pat dry with napkins, wrap in foil.
2. Place the prepared vegetable on a baking tray in the oven. Bake at 160 degrees for 30 minutes.
3. After cooking, cool the beets directly in the foil.
4. Cleaned chilled vegetables, grated.
5. Cut peeled onions into thin quarter rings.
6. Put the onion in the pan, pour in a couple of tablespoons of oil, fry until golden brown.
7. Add grated beets, salt, paprika and pepper. Stir.
8. Fry the beets, stirring for 10 minutes.
9. Pour in vinegar, mix well, remove roasted beets from the fire.
10. Transfer the billet to sterilized hot jars, roll up.
11. After the roasted beets and onions have cooled at room temperature, store them in a cool place.
7. Roasted beet caviar
• three beets;
• large onion;
• three cloves of garlic;
• a pinch of ground chili;
• 2-3 tablespoons grow. oils;
• spices and salt.
1. Boil the beets in water until tender, then cool and grate on a fine grater.
2. Peel raw carrots, and grind grated.
3. Chop the peeled onion finely.
4. Heat the butter in the skillet, fry the onion in it first, then add the carrots.
5. As soon as the vegetables get a golden hue, put the beets to the vegetables.
6. Cover the saucepan with the lid, fry the beets for about 20 minutes, remembering to stir the eggs so that the vegetables do not burn.
7. After the allotted time for frying, squeeze garlic into the caviar, add salt and spices to taste, tomato paste. 8. Stir all the ingredients and cook for another five minutes.
9. Ready-made roasted beet caviar is tasty both hot and cold.
Roasted beets - culinary tricks when working with beets
• To keep fresh beets from wilting and not losing their hardness and strength, store them in a cold place in a tightly tied plastic bag.
• If the recipe for a roast beet dish requires pre-boiling the vegetable, it should be laid in cold water and cooked over low heat, avoiding boiling. So the beets will remain tasty and bright.
• To cook beets, use a ceramic or enameled container without chips. Aluminum and iron will stain and oxidize.
• If you add a spoonful of vinegar, lemon juice or a teaspoon of sugar when boiling into water, you will save the brightness of the vegetable.
• If before cooking you thoroughly washed the beets, then do not rush to pour the broth after it. Boil in rice water or pasta in such water, you will receive an unusual bright pink color of the finished product.
• If, when frying beets, you see that it turns out to be dryish, pour in some boiling water.
• Fried beet in any dish turns out very tasty and juicy. It is ideal for meat, fish or vegetable table. Before serving, you can sprinkle with greens, sprinkle with lemon juice or vinegar.