Forshmak is a very tasty and nourishing snack that Jews invented. No wonder that it is also very economical. From one herring you can cook a whole bowl of spreading for sandwiches. Although, very often forshmak is used for filling tartlets, served on creeps, chips or lettuce leaves. This taste is nothing to compare!
Classic forshmak from herring - general principles of cooking
Despite the presence of herring in the dish, the fish is not added very much. According to the rules, about a third, but less possible. Herring flavor does not dominate, but is a pleasant addition that makes the dish unusual. Salted fish is used. The carcass is separated from the bones, heads. Peeled fillet is ground by a blender, you can take a meat grinder, but then the products are skipped at least two times. There should be a homogeneous mass, resembling a pate in consistency.
What else is added to forshmak:
• boiled eggs;
The exact composition of the ingredients depends on the selected recipe. Jews prepared Forshmak in a variety of ways. Very often, in order to save it, bread or a loaf was added to it, potatoes, it also turns out quite well with them.
The crushed mass can be filled with any spices, but it itself is quite fragrant, has a pronounced taste. Forshmak can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days in a container or in a jar with a tight lid, but it is best to use fresh.
Forshmak from herring: classic recipe with apples and egg
For cooking it is best to use green apples of Semerenko and Granny varieties. In the classic forshmak recipe from herring, one fish is used. If it is small, then it is better to take two or one and a half.
• one large apple or 2 small ones;
• three eggs;
• 100 g butter;
• onion head. Cooking
1. To cut the herring or take ready fillet, cut into slices. If the fish is too salty, then pour cold milk for a while, then squeeze.
2. Peel the apples, it is better not to use the skin, so that the mass is softer. Cut into pieces.
3. Peel the eggs and onions. They are also cut into pieces.
4. Fold everything into the bowl of the blender, whisk until smooth.
5. Either twist through the meat grinder twice.
6. Add softened butter. If it does not have time to lie in the heat, then you can cut it into pieces, throw it into the common oil and re-beat it with a blender.
7. Stir forshmak, taste it. If not enough salt, you can add. Optionally seasoned with black pepper, greens.
8. We send forshmak for an hour in the fridge so that the mass is a bit frozen. Use for sandwiches and snacks.
Forshmak from herring: classic recipe with melted cheese
According to this classic recipe, you can take the usual cheese in a foil of the type “Friendship” to prepare the forshmak from the herring. Soft cheese in the tubs also fits, a little taste changes and the texture becomes softer.
• 250 g herring fillets;
• 100 g of green apples;
• 100 g of processed cheese;
• 60 g butter;
• three eggs;
• 100 g onions.
1. Cut the fish into pieces, put it in the bowl of the blender for grinding. If it is small, then beat all the ingredients separately, then shift to the total weight.
2. We clean the right amount of onions and apples, grind.
3. Boil hard-boiled eggs, cool and clean, send shredded.
4. We clean the cheese from the foil. If it is already soft, then you can immediately put in the total weight. If not, first chop, then combine with the rest of the products.
5. It remains only to add soft butter. It is desirable to beat the mass again, so that the tastes of the products come together.
6. We clean in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, then we use to destination.
Economical forshmak from herring: a classic recipe with potatoes
A very popular and economical classic forshmak recipe from herring. For cooking you will need boiled potatoes. It is best to boil it whole in uniform, to keep the starch in the tubers.
• three herrings;
• three potatoes;
• three onions;
• four eggs;
• two apples;
• 150 g of oil;
• vinegar, spices.
1. Peel the herring, separate the fillets from the ridge, select all the large bones, sprinkle the fish with vinegar, set aside.
2. Boil the potatoes in the peel, cool, peel and cut into slices.
3. Onions just peel, cut into pieces.
4. Boil eggs hard-boiled, pour with cold water so that they cool down faster, then remove the shell, cut into four parts.
5. Peel green apples, peel off very thin. Cut into slices, core with seeds discarded.
6. Skip all these products through a meat grinder twice.
7. Mix the softened butter with a mixer until fluffy, then add to the forshmak.
8. Thoroughly stir everything, taste the herring dish, put more salt if necessary, add black or red pepper, season with other spices, dry or fresh herbs.
Forshmak from herring: a classic recipe with fried onions
This is a very tasty Jewish recipe, it is often also called the Odessa recipe, allegedly there were several families of Jews who invented it. The difference is the use of roasted onions. The taste of the forshmak is very soft, light, the flavor is simply incomparable.
• 2 herring;
• 4 bulbs;
• 4 eggs;
• 2 apples;
• 200 g butter;
• salt pepper.
1. Start better with a bow so that he has time to cool down. We clean the heads, cut into large cubes or straws.
2. Melt 50 g of butter in a skillet, pour onions. Fry over medium heat. The task is to lightly brown the onion slices, but do not fry until brown. Cook for about five minutes. Then cool.
3. Boil hard boiled eggs, then cool and peel, cut into several pieces. 4. We clean the apples, cut them into pieces, throw away the stub.
5. Grind all prepared products to a state of uniform paste.
6. Add butter, salt if necessary, and beat for a couple of minutes for fluffiness. Pepper and other spices add to taste.
Forshmak from herring: a classic recipe with carrots
One of the brightest classic forshmak recipes from herring. For cooking, it is best to choose a fresh and juicy carrot to make it really tasty. An apple is not added to this dish, but vinegar is added.
• 1 herring;
• 2 medium carrots;
• 2 eggs;
• 1 onion;
• 120 g butter;
• 20 ml of vegetable oil.
1. Carrots can be fully laid raw, but it is better to fry one. Clean, rub large. Cut one onion.
2. Pour vegetable oil into the pan, put a spoonful of butter, put it on the stove.
3. Add vegetables, fry until soft.
4. Simply chop the second carrot, put it in a blender or simply in a bowl if a meat grinder is used for grinding.
5. We clean the herring, cut it into fillets, cut into pieces.
6. Boiled eggs are also cleaned, cut into four parts.
7. Add the browned vegetables from the pan, grind it all together.
8. Add the remaining butter, put salt, pepper and mix everything thoroughly.
Forshmak from Herring: A Classic Hebrew Bread Recipe
Another cost-effective recipe for classic forshmak from herring. For its preparation is best to use stale white bread or a loaf, you can take the product two days old, but not fresh.
• one herring;
• an Apple;
• two pieces of white bread;
• 100 grams of milk;
• one onion;
• two eggs;
• 50 g of oil.
1. Free the herring from pits, ridge and head. Cut the fish into small pieces.
2. Cut off all crusts from bread, add milk, wet the slices well and set aside, let them soften well. 3. Peel the apple and onion, cut into small pieces.
4. Boil the eggs and also prepare for subsequent grinding.
5. Mince the fish with apple and onion, drive away the boiled eggs.
6. Squeeze the bread from excess milk, but do not pour it anywhere. It is also passed through a meat grinder.
7. We grind all products repeatedly that the consistence turned out more homogeneous.
8. Add butter, it is a bit in this recipe, 50 grams is enough, it is about two spoons. Pound with the bulk. You can beat.
9. We evaluate the consistency. If forshmak turns thick, then you can pour the milk that remains.
10. After the consistency has been brought to the desired state, we add spices, we throw greens, and if necessary, salt. Give forshmak “ripen” in the fridge for an hour, then serve to the table.
Classic forshmak from herring - tips and tricks
• If the herring is salted, then before cooking, the fillets are often soaked in milk. But few people know that you can also use strong tea, only it needs to be cooled beforehand. The drink perfectly takes the excess salt, just hold the pieces in it for 15-20 minutes.
• In the herring caught milk and caviar? They can be safely added to Forshmak, the taste will not be affected.
• If you plan to cook forshmak for several days, then it is better not to add fresh greens, it will shorten the shelf life of the herring snack by one day.
• To make beautiful spicy snacks, you can put it in a pastry bag. Through large nozzles on sandwiches or in tartlets, charming flowers, leaflets, patterns are squeezed out.