“Unagi” sauce is a traditional Japanese dressing for smoked eel. But it was before. Now it is served to a variety of dishes, such as rolls or seafood. Different fish and even rice. A fragrant sauce with the color of burnt caramel and a pleasant aftertaste also pleases meat lovers. Now gas station is becoming very popular with us, why not learn how to cook it at home? There are lots of interesting, but simple recipes.
Unagi Sauce - General Cooking Principles
• Soy sauce. One of the main ingredients of Japanese "Unagi". It is added in large quantities, gives a beautiful color, rich taste, perfectly ennobles and removes the need to collect different ingredients separately. Soy sauce is usually boiled with the other components of the recipe.
• Wine. This can be a simple white wine or Japanese variety “Mirin”. Often, several types of alcohol are added to the sauce. There may even be a sake. Alcohol is always cooked, boiled with soy sauce and other ingredients.
• Sugar, honey. Despite their presence in wine, the pronounced taste of soy sauce, sugar and honey are almost always added during cooking. If you do not need too cloying refueling, then you can reduce the number.
• Other supplements. Unagi often put vegetables. Ginger, potato or corn starch is added to thicken. Classic sweet and salty sauce. But if necessary, you can add spice to it, using pepper or a little acid, for this is useful lemon juice.
• Cooking features. Unagi convenient to cook on the stove in a saucepan. Classic sauce is prepared for a long time, the mass is boiled down. May burn. That is why recipes with starch are now very popular, allowing you to quickly thicken the mass at any stage.
Unagi sauce with white and rice wine
A very interesting recipe for the sauce “Unagi” for which it is best to use semi-dry wine. But if there is none, then a dry drink will go. Additionally, you will need rice wine, as well as dry concentrated fish broth, which is often found in Japanese cuisine. Ingredients
• 160 ml of soy sauce;
• 200 ml of wine;
• 2 tbsp. l Sahara;
• 200 ml of rice wine “Mirin”;
• 1 tsp. dry fish broth (hondashi).
1. Combine both types of wine in a saucepan, diluted with soy sauce. We put on the stove.
2. As soon as the mixture boils, set the fire to minimum, boil half of the liquid at very low boiling.
3. After 15-20 minutes, add dry fish broth, stir to dissolve. If the special broth does not work, then you can try to add a third of the concentrated cube.
4. As soon as the sauce is boiled down, it will take about one hour, remove the saucepan from the heat. The mass should be thicker, get a dark caramel flavor.
5. Add granulated sugar to the hot sauce and mix again.
6. Optionally, fill the sauce "Unagi" hot cayenne pepper.
Unagi butter sauce with honey and ginger
A simple variant of the popular “Unagi” sauce with fresh ginger and honey. It is great for eel, but can be combined with other types of fish, seafood. Additionally, to thicken the mass will need a little cornstarch. If necessary, you can replace it with a potato product.
• 50 ml soy sauce;
• 3 grams of starch;
• 10 grams of honey;
• 5 grams of fresh ginger root;
• 50 ml of olive oil.
1. Combine olive oil and honey, pour them into a small saucepan, put on the stove. Let it heat up for now.
2. Mix starch with soy sauce, pour to oil.
3. Grate peeled ginger root. But you can just very finely chop. Add to the other ingredients of the sauce.
4. Cook on very low heat for a few minutes. In no case do not let the mass boil, so as not to spoil the taste.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Chill the fragrant sauce, pour the fish or serve to any other dishes.
Unagi sauce with smoked eel
For this version of the sauce "Unagi" you need quite a bit of smoked eel, but it is this supplement that will make it special, incredibly fragrant and appetizing. Ingredients
• 200 grams of good soy sauce;
• 2/3 cup of purified water;
• 15 grams of starch;
• 240 grams of wine “Mirin”;
• 120 grams of granulated sugar;
• 60 grams of smoked eel.
1. Combine wine, half prescription water and soy sauce. Stir well, put on the stove.
2. When boiling, we remove the fire, boil for about three minutes.
3. Add sugar. If the soy sauce is lightly salted, then you can take a bit of sugar less than the specified rate. We continue to cook the sauce.
4. Cut into very small pieces of eel, pour it in a couple of minutes into the saucepan. Bring to a boil.
5. In the remaining water dissolve prescription starch. We take the liquid cold, so as not to form lumps.
6. Pour the starch into the pan. Do not rush, the second hand is well stirred.
7. Continue to warm the mass until it becomes thick and transparent. White turbidity from the starch should disappear.
8. Remove from heat. Give the sauce with eel insist that it revealed its taste.
Unagi sauce with sake and vegetables
An interesting recipe for the sauce "Unagi" for those who have a little rice vodka in the kitchen. Additionally, you need a dry white wine.
• 100 g of honey;
• 0.2 Art. sake;
• 180 ml of white wine;
• two cloves of garlic;
• a glass of soy sauce;
• 180 ml of water;
• 15 g starch.
1. Water combine with honey, add soy sauce. Put this mixture on the stove. Bring almost to a boil.
2. Cut garlic cloves, peeled onion and carrot in small pieces, it can be plates or cubes.
3. Add vegetables to the boiled mixture of soy sauce with water. Tomim on a small fire for about a quarter of an hour.
4. Strain the decoction. We throw out vegetables, they will not be useful to us, but before that we squeeze well to extract the taste. The liquid is returned to the saucepan.
5. Now add the wine and pour in the sake, stir, put the sauce to re-cook.
6. Measure out 50 ml of water, dissolve prescription starch.
7. Dress the sauce with starch. Boil the mass until it reaches the consistency of jelly. 8. Remove from heat, cool.
Recipe for rolls with “Unagi” sauce, eel and sesame
Famous rolls with “Unagi” sauce. For cooking you will need boiled rice for sushi. It can be prepared according to any of the available recipes.
• 100 g eel fillet;
• rice for sushi (ready);
• sushi seeds;
• unagi sauce;
• nori sheet;
• 2 spoons of spicy sauce.
1. Fry the sesame seeds just in a dry skillet. Brown them do not need, just lightly dried until a pleasant aroma.
2. Put rice on the noria leaf, but not completely. Leave the upper part free. Sprinkle rice with sesame seeds, press, gently turn over.
3. Lubricate with spicy sauce, lay out strips of cucumber and pieces of eel. We also put a little sauce on them to make the rolls juicy.
4. Twist the roll. Leave about five minutes.
5. Cut the roll into eight parts with a sharp knife. We put on a serving plate.
6. Next to put the unagi sauce, serve the dish with him, complement the marinated ginger.
Fast Unagi Sauce with Garlic
A variant of a very simple “Unagi” sauce with a light taste of garlic. It is prepared really quickly and simply.
• a glass of soy sauce;
• three cloves of garlic;
• 0.5 glasses of white wine;
• 0.3 glass of water;
• 30 g of sugar;
• 1 tsp. grated ginger;
• 1 tsp. starch;
• 1 tsp. oils olives.
1. Grind garlic and ginger. Add to them the sugar combined with starch.
2. Dilute all this with liquid ingredients. Pour wine with water and soy sauce in any sequence, the main thing is to shake everything well so that the lumps are not happy.
3. Put on the stove, bring to a boil. As soon as the sauce becomes thick, pour in a few drops of oil and you can remove the saucepan from the heat.
4. Immediately, until the mass has cooled, filter the unagi through a sieve to get rid of the garlic and ginger.
5. Chill, use for cooking Japanese dishes!
Chicken with Unagi Sauce
Fish is often served with unagi, it is added to rice and sushi, but few know about the perfect combination of sauce with chicken. The recipe is very simple, but tasty and quick dishes from chicken fillet. Ingredients
• 500 g chicken fillet;
• 1 tsp. curry seasonings;
• a clove of garlic;
• 50 g unagi;
• sesame oil;
• 50 grams of tomato ketchup.
1. Wash chicken fillet, cut into small cubes.
2. Heat some oil in a skillet. If the surface is non-stick, then one spoon is enough. We spread the fillet, fry a couple of minutes on high heat.
3. Grind the garlic. Combine with curry seasoning and tomato ketchup, add 30 ml of water. Stir.
4. Put the tomato sauce to the chicken fillet, reduce the heat, cook for two minutes.
5. Now add unagi to the chicken. Cover the pan, we torment the fillet with it for a couple of minutes.
6. Open, fry until all the sauce is absorbed in the fillet, but stir constantly, so that nothing burns.
7. We shift the chicken on the plates, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Unagi Sauce - Tips and Tricks
• Not all soy sauces are the same. In our stores, the choice is not very big, but you should take care of finding a real product, and not salted tinted water. Only in this case, unagi will turn out the way it should.
• No fresh ginger? You can add a little dried in the dish, only reduce the amount at least twice.
• If you add a lot of garlic and ginger to unagi, you will get the equally famous Teriyaki sauce.