Today, the cookbooks of hostesses are overflowing with all sorts of options for step-by-step recipes of charlottes, and a photo of a dessert with apples, cherries and other fruits in culinary magazines speaks of its great popularity in many countries.
Culinary experts disagree on the origin of charlotte. Some believe that this is a French dish, embodied by the great cook Marie Antoine Carre. Others speak of the involvement of the wife of the King of England, Charlotte, who was the patroness of apple production. The American version says that the recipe was invented in the city of Charlotte, and Russian cookery believes that the name is associated with German women who worked in Russia in the late nineteenth century in German bakeries - while the name Charlotte was very popular, so they were often called "charlottes".
However, the most likely country of origin is still England, since the original cooking recipe was similar to pudding, and only eventually transformed into a cake from the filling dough. But no matter what the story is, one thing is for sure - it’s impossible not to love charlotte! She pleases the housewives with ease of preparation, and eaters with their amazing taste and even those who follow the figure cannot refuse a piece of cake: after all, it is low-calorie in its classic version.
Step-by-step recipes of charlottes - basic technological principles
For cooking charlotte does not need to have special culinary skills. Often, it is the first dessert that beginners take to prepare. But, despite the ease of each stage, there are certain principles that must be followed.
The main difference between a charlotte and a simple apple pie is its appearance - the filling must always lie on top of the cake.
Traditionally, the dessert is baked with apples that have a light “sourness”, but they can be mixed with other fruits or completely replaced. You can use any berries, jam, or even protein cream as a filling. For the preparation of dietary charlotte, wheat flour can be replaced with oatmeal or other more useful flour, and instead of sugar, use sweetener or stevia.
The use of biscuit dough is optional. You can make a charlotte of sand dough or cooked with sour cream, kefir, yogurt, mineral water very tasty.
Peeled apples darken due to contact with air. To avoid this, they need to sprinkle with lemon juice and sprinkle with sugar.
Mixing biscuit dough, respect the proportions of cooking. Beat the egg white with a little salt in it - it adds more viscosity to them and speeds up the beating. Eggs should be taken cold so that they are better beaten.
Do not use the mixer when mixing the flour with the egg mass, so as not to release the air bubbles, and not precipitate the dough.
In the process of baking, you cannot open the oven, otherwise the biscuit will “fall”.
Step-by-step recipe for classic apple charlotte
Dessert is an important element of the feast and, as a rule, requires considerable effort and time to prepare, but when it is not there, and the guests are on the doorstep, the classic apple charlotte will help to solve this issue and will be an excellent addition to tea.
Apples 700 g (net)
Eggs 6 pcs.
Wheat flour 720 g
Sugar (or powder) 320 g
Baking powder (or soda) 12 g
Fine salt 1 g
Cognac 80 ml
Melted butter 30 g
Ground cinnamon 20 g
For the classic charlotte you need to choose the most fragrant apple varieties, because they are the basis of the dessert.
1. Wash the apples, remove the core and cut into slices of the same size. Sprinkle with cinnamon, pour brandy and mix. Leave them to marinate while you make dough.
2. Turn on the oven at 180 ° C. Take a detachable shape with a diameter of 26-28 cm, grease with melted butter. Do not lubricate the sides of the form - the oil on the sides will lead to the fact that the sponge will rise only in the center. The dough must be baked immediately after mixing, so the baking dish and oven must be prepared in advance. 3. Separate the whites from the yolks. Add half the sugar to the yolks and beat with a mixer until they turn white.
4. Add a few salt crystals to the proteins, and beat them until a strong thick foam is formed and the volume doubles, then pour out the remaining sugar and vanillin and beat until it is completely dissolved.
Use only fresh cooled eggs. The capacity for making biscuit dough must be completely dry, otherwise the proteins may not be whipped or settled.
5. Carefully combine the yolks with the whites. Stir the egg mass with a spatula, “clockwise”, bottom-up. Fluffy weight should not settle, and this mixing allows you to save volume.
6. Start gradually introducing pre-sifted flour, combined with soda. Stir the dough with the same wooden spatula or spoon, from the edge to the center, from the bottom up, until the flour is completely mixed. The finished mass should be slightly liquid without flour clumps.
Sifting flour is necessary - it allows her to get enough oxygen and makes a sponge cake. Enter the flour mixture gradually, through a sieve - this will prevent the formation of lumps.
7. Triturate the bottom of the mold with powdered sugar, and spread half of the apples on it.
8. Pour in a portion of the dough, lay out the remaining slices, and fill with a full sponge cake.
9. Bake 25 minutes. During this time, the cake will become rosy, and approximately double the size. Do not open the oven during baking, otherwise the cake will settle. At the end of time, pierce him with a match in the middle, if it stays dry - the cake is ready.
10. Allow the charlotte to cool, then remove the bead of the mold, and turn it over on a plate so that the apples are on top.
11. Serve the charlotte, cut into portions, after cooling. If desired, pour over the apricot sauce. Whipped cream, almond crumb, grated chocolate, mint sauce will approach it.
Step-by-step recipe: charlotte with apples and curd
Cottage cheese (18%) 400 g
Eggs, table 2 pcs.
Lemon 1 pc.
Semolina 450 g
Sugar 350 g
Liquid honey 70 g
Baking powder 20 g Vanilla essence 10 drops
Incredibly tasty and original charlotte will turn out even at the beginning hostess - the main thing is to follow the step-by-step instructions in the recipe, and the photo of each stage will become a visual assistant.
1. Grate a lemon zest and then squeeze the juice out of it.
2. Wash the apples, cut into slices, sprinkle them with lemon juice, mix with a small amount of sugar.
3. Beat eggs with sugar until it is completely dissolved.
4. Melt the butter in a water bath, mix it with honey and pour it into the egg mixture, then mix well. The oil should not be too hot, so that the whites of the eggs do not coagulate.
5. Beat the curd with a blender or rub through and mix it with the eggs.
6. Pour out the semolina and baking powder, pour in vanilla essence and mix thoroughly. Let the dough stand for a bit.
7. Preheat oven to 220 ° C. Lubricate the form with oil and lightly slit semolina. Put the apples on the bottom, pour the dough on top. Bake the charlotte at the set temperature for five minutes, and then reduce it to 180 ° C, and leave for another 30-35 minutes.
8. When the charlotte is ready and cool, turn the mold on the plate upside down and remove it. Sprinkle lemon zest on top and garnish with mint leaves.
Chocolate cake with cherry on kefir: a step-by-step recipe
Kefir (2.5%) 500 ml
Flour 0.5 kg
Eggs, dietary 2 pcs.
Chocolate 100 g
Cocoa powder 50 g
Fresh cherry pitted 600 g
Soda 10 g
Butter 220 g
Vanillin 8 g
1. Beat eggs with sugar.
2. Melt the butter in a water bath and pour into the egg mass.
3. Add kefir, soda, cocoa and vanillin and mix. To give kefir and soda a reaction and the dough is airy, use food at room temperature, not cold. Sugar can be ground into powder before kneading - this will allow it to dissolve faster.
4. Melt chocolate in a microwave or in a water bath. Combine it with a dough until a uniform consistency.
5. Sift the flour and add it in parts to the bulk of the dough, mixing thoroughly. The consistency of the dough should be a bit thin, like sour cream. 6. Wash the cherries. Put on paper towel to remove excess moisture. You can use frozen cherries, but in this case, after defrosting, it should be allowed to drain.
If too much liquid gets into the dough, it will be heavy and dense. Use a culinary technique to keep the cherry from flowing and the cake to not be wet: drag the berries with starch - it absorbs moisture well.
7. Lubricate the mold with oil and tantrum with decoy or flour. You can cover it with parchment paper before lubrication, and then the charlotte will be separated even better. It is better to use a split form in order not to damage baking in the future. Pour in a piece of dough, and lay out half the cherries, then again the dough and on top of the cherries.
8. Bake at 180 ° C, in a preheated oven, for about 35 minutes.
9. Wait until the charlotte has cooled slightly, remove the form and put it on the dish. If desired, you can tuck with powdered sugar, which will enrich the dessert with its sweetness and color.
A step-by-step recipe for charlottes: tips and tricks
Use apples of sour varieties for charlotte, for example, Antonovka - this makes it possible to shade the sweetness of baking.
To diversify the dessert, you can add nuts, raisins, dried apricots, prunes, etc. to the dough.
For baking, it is best to use silicone molds or with Teflon coating - the dough practically does not stick to them.
If one third of the flour used in the dough is replaced with starch, the charlotte will not crumble.
To give charlotte a festive look, decorate it with cream meringue or whipped cream. Such a dessert will decorate even a festive table, and it will take very little time to prepare it.
The more filling, the tastier the charlotte, but its excessive amount will not allow the dough to rise sufficiently, and as a result, the charlotte will lose airiness.