Blueberry is a branchy shrub from the lingonberry family with a height of 15 ... 40 cm. It has a long creeping rhizome up to 8 m long. Stalk and branches ribbed, smooth, woody. The leaves are small, ovate-oblong, thin, green, with a finely serrated margin and a sharp top, on short petioles. Flowers solitary, drooping, on short pedicels, spherical, white-pink, with fused corolla. Fruits - black berries with a bluish bloom, with the rest of the cup. The pulp is reddish-purple, paints lips and teeth. The taste is sour-sweet, pleasant, astringent. The shape of the fruit - spherical berries, with a diameter of 10 mm.
Bilberry grows in pine and spruce forests, on even semi-shady places in the middle and northern forest zones of the European part of Russia, in Siberia, in some regions of the Caucasus. Ripens in July and August.
In blueberries, 86, 5% water, 0, 4 - ashes, 2, 2 - cellulose, 1, 2 - organic acids (succinic, malic, citric, lactic, quinine), pectin substances - from 0, 14 to 0, 6 , proteins - 1, 1, carbohydrates - 8%. From mineral substances (in mg%): sodium - 6, potassium - 51, calcium - 16, magnesium - 6, phosphorus-13, iron - 7. The amount of vitamins is not very large. So, vitamin C 10 mg%, PP-3, the rest - Bj, B 2 - in the tenths and hundredths of mg%. The leaves contain up to 20% tannins, arbutin, hydroquinone, glycoside myrtillin, flavone compounds - quetcetin, quercitrin, isoquercitrin, meratin, etc. The amount of vitamin C in the leaves reaches 250 mg%, also contains essential oils, resin, olea-nol, ursolic and quinic acids.
Collected blueberries are eaten fresh with milk and pureed with sugar.
It is used for preparing syrups, jelly, juices, jams, marshmallow, marmalade, liqueurs, various soft drinks, stuffing for pies, cakes, casseroles, and jam. Dried blueberries in a slightly cooled oven at 50-65 ° C.
The easiest to cook with blueberries will probably be blueberries with milk. It is enough to take 2 ... 3 tablespoons of blueberries for 1 glass of milk, and your breakfast is ready. If you add croutons or cornflakes here, you will also get several dishes with new taste and nutritional properties.
Sour dough and crushed berries with a small amount of sugar enable the hostess to bake delicious cakes.
For the blueberry pie, you will need more ingredients. For 4 cups of berries you need to take 2 cups of milk, 2 cups of rice, 2 eggs, 100 g of sugar, 50 g of creamy margarine, 50 g of raisins and 30 g of butter. First boil the rice in milk, then rub the yolks with sugar, margarine and salt and mix with the boiled rice, add blueberries and raisins. Latest add whipped whites. Mix, place the mixture in a metal form, greased. Top with pieces of butter and bake in the oven.
Bilberry compote can be cooked not only fresh, but also dried. You need to take 2 cups of water, dissolve a third cup of sugar in it, bring to a boil. In the resulting syrup put berries, bring to a boil again. Cool before serving. If dry berries are used for compote, then they must first be soaked in cold water for 2 hours. After that, add sugar and cook the mixture until ready. Blueberry juice has a high taste and can be used as a diet drink. For its manufacture does not take much time. It is enough to squeeze the juice from the blueberries, dilute it with cold boiled water at the rate of 1 glass of juice per 1 l of water, add sugar (0, 5 cups), put in a cool place for 10 ... 12 hours, and juice is ready.
Similarly, prepared juice with honey. Only sugar is replaced by an equal amount of honey.
Blueberry juice can make a large number of drinks with ice cream, which will be of high taste.
The infusion of blueberry leaves has astringent, hemostatic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and diuretic effects.
When collecting berries should be careful with blueberry bushes, do not break off the branches. The fact is that they grow very slowly - about 300 years. Therefore, the broken bush will be restored for many years.
Blueberries with milk
- 0, 5 cups blueberries, 1 glass of milk, 10 g of sugar;
- Add sugar and berries to cold milk, mix and serve in a bowl or glass.
- 3 glasses of fresh blueberries, 100 g of sugar, 3 glasses of water;
- dissolve sugar in water, bring to a boil, lower berries and boil. Serve chilled.
- 100 g of blueberries, 100 g of sugar, 40 g of starch, 4 glasses of water;
- washed blueberries, knead, squeeze the juice;
- boil the marc, strain the broth, add sugar to it; in the process of boiling broth add to it, constantly stirring, diluted starch, bring to a boil and remove from heat;
- pour pressed juice into the finished kissel; serve chilled.
Kissel from dried blueberries
- 20 g of dried blueberries, 80 g of sugar, 40 g of starch, 4 cups of water;
- dry berries pour cold water and cook until softened;
- knead with a spoon and squeeze through a sieve; add sugar, diluted starch to the broth and, stirring, bring to the boil; serve chilled
Blueberry jelly on oatmeal
- 200 g flour, 100 g sugar, 30 g blueberry.
- Pour the oatmeal flour with water, give a good sour taste, strain through a sieve and brew a thick kissel.
- pour into plates and cool; when serving pour blueberry syrup
Blueberries with cornflakes
- 500 g of blueberries, 0, 5 l of milk, 75 g of sugar, 150 g of cornflakes, 25 g of creamy margarine, lemon peel, 1/3 tsp of cinnamon, 2 proteins, 4 tbsp. spoons of powdered sugar;
- boil milk with sugar, pour corn flakes with them, boil them slightly, add creamy margarine, lemon zest, cinnamon, blueberries;
- mix everything up, put in small bowls and put in the cold;
- Decorate with whipped cream made of proteins and powdered sugar before serving.
- 1 cup of blueberries, 0, 5 glasses of caxapa, 1 l of water;
- blueberries to sort, wash, knead and squeeze the juice; pour the juice into a glass jar, cover and put in a cool place;
- Pour the pomace with hot water, boil for 10 ... 12 min and strain, mix the broth with the previously obtained juice and add sugar;
- Serve chilled.
Blueberry juice with honey
- 3 cups of hot blueberry, mors, 4 egg yolks, 4 tbsp. spoons of natural honey;
- knock out the yolks of the eggs in a bowl, add honey and, while constantly stirring, gradually pour in the hot blueberry juice; serve the drink hot.
Drink “Forest Story”
- 4 glasses of blueberries, 1 glass of cold cream or 2 glasses of cold milk, 0, 5 glasses of powdered sugar;
- blueberries to sort, wash and rub through a frequent sieve or squeeze the juice in a juicer;
- pour the obtained juice into the dishes, add cold cream or milk and powdered sugar, mix; serve the drink chilled.
Hot Blueberry Drink
- 1 cup of blueberry juice, 8 tbsp. spoons of vanilla syrup, 2 ... 3 cups of hot boiled water;
- pour blueberry juice into a pre-warmed tea or punch glass and then vanilla syrup and boiling hot water;
- mix well; serve the drink hot.
Blueberry Cream Drink
- 2 cups blueberries, 2 tbsp. spoons of sugar, 2 tsp of starch, 4, 5 cups of hot water, 100 g of whipped cream;
- to sort out the blueberries, wash them, put them in a saucepan, add hot water, close the lid, put on the fire and cook for 20 ... 30 minutes;
- strain the resulting broth, separate 0, 6 cups of broth, which is cool, and then dissolve the starch in it; add sugar, diluted potato starch to the main amount of broth, put on the fire again and bring to a boil;
- before serving, in the glasses with a drink, put whipped cream on top; serve the drink chilled.
Blueberry drink with yolk
- 1 cup of blueberry juice, 2 glasses of pasteurized cold milk, 4 egg yolks, 40 g of whipped cream, 8 ... 12 cubes of food ice;
- Knock egg yolks into a shaker, add blueberry juice, cold milk, food ice and mix quickly and strongly so that the mixture is well foamed;
- strain the drink in glasses or glasses and put whipped cream on top.
- 8 tbsp. spoons of blueberry juice, 8 tsp of raspberry syrup of industrial production, 300 g of canned fruit, 200 g of ice cream;
- Put canned “assorted” fruits and ice cream in wine glasses, and then pour in raspberry syrup and blueberry fruit drink.
Blueberry Cheese Drink
- 8 tbsp. spoons of blueberry juice, 200 g grated cheese, 2 cups cold pasteurized milk;
- add grated cheese to the mixer, add cold milk and blueberry juice and beat for 1 minute; serve the drink well chilled.
Blueberry blueberry drink with yolk
- 8 tbsp. spoons of blueberry juice, 4 tbsp. spoons of blueberry berry juice, 1 cup of cold yogurt or kefir, 4 egg yolks, 49 g of whipped cream, 8 ... 12 cubes of food ice;
- Knock egg yolks into a shaker, pour in blueberry juice, juice of blueberry berries, cold yogurt or kefir, add food ice and mix quickly and strongly so that the mixture is well foamed;
- strain the drink in glasses or glasses and put whipped cream on top.
Milky Blueberry Drink
- 0, 25 l of blueberry juice, 0, 75 l of chilled boiled milk, sugar to taste;
- Pour chilled boiled milk into blueberry juice and mix; then add sugar and cool to taste;
- it turns out a delicious refreshing drink, it is pleasant to drink on a hot summer day.
- 0, 5 cups blueberry juice, 2 eggs, 3 tbsp. spoons of sugar, 2 cups cold milk, 0, 5 cups cold boiled water, a pinch of salt, 1 ... 2 teaspoons of grated nutmeg;
- break up fresh eggs and separate the yolks from the whites, whisk the yolks to a thick, lemon-colored mass, and the whites - into a cool foam;
- in a whipped yolk add a pinch of salt, sugar, blueberry juice and mix well; then pour cold milk and chilled boiled water and mix;
- pour the mixture into pre-whipped proteins; Sprinkle grated nutmeg on top before serving.