The zebra cake was especially popular in the Soviet Union. It turns out not only delicious, but also incredibly beautiful. At the same time for its preparation requires a minimum set of products and quite a bit of effort.
Zebra cake (step-by-step recipe) - basic cooking principles
Making this dessert is real creativity. Prepare a cake from the dough of two colors: white and brown. For this, the dough is divided in half. One part is left white, and cocoa powder is added to the second. Hence the name of the cake.
For the preparation of the test using the most common products that are found in every home: wheat flour, cocoa powder, eggs, butter, sugar, sour cream and baking soda.
Beat eggs with sugar. You can do this with a whisk, but it is better to use a mixer, so it will turn out much faster. Continue to beat until the egg mass is two to three times larger in volume.
Then add sour cream. It can be replaced by kefir. Butter is melted on a slow fire, or in a water bath. You can use any creamy fat. Add to remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Add baking soda to the resulting mass. It can be previously repaid with vinegar or lemon juice. At the very least, add sifted flour and continue to beat with a mixer until there is not a lump left.
To flavor add vanillin to the dough.
The dough is divided in half, spilling them into separate bowls. Cocoa powder is poured into one of them and shaken until it disperses completely according to the dough.
The deep round shape is oiled and dusted with flour. Take a tablespoon of light dough and spread it in the center of the form, then pour a spoonful of chocolate on it. Repeat in this order until all the dough is in shape.
Bake the cake in a well-heated oven. Willingness is checked with a wooden skewer or toothpick.
The finished cake is removed from the oven, cooled and poured over with a glaze, or crushed with powdered sugar. This is a variant of a simple zebra cake.
To prepare a more complex dessert, the cake is cut in half and smeared with cream. Cake "Zebra" is prepared on milk, marshmallow, condensed milk. For a change, you can add slices of fresh fruit, nuts or dried fruits to the cake.
Recipe 1. Classic Zebra Cake (step by step recipe)
wheat flour - 270 g;
cane sugar - 260 g;
baking soda - 1/2 teaspoon;
sour cream - 200 g;
cocoa powder - 50 g;
butter - 50 g;
three chicken eggs.
cocoa powder - 50 g;
milk - 50 g;
butter - 50 g;
cane sugar - two tablespoons;
coconut chips or white chocolate - 50 g.
Method of preparation
1. Chicken eggs into a deep bowl. Dissolve sugar and whisk with a whisk or mixer until an air mass is formed with bubbles.
2. Add sour cream to beaten eggs. Put the butter in a small bowl and place it over a pan of boiling water. Hold until butter is melted. Lightly cool and put in the beaten eggs. Well mix everything up.
3. Sift the flour twice. Soda to extinguish with vinegar. Instead of vinegar, you can use lemon juice. Add everything to the mixture of eggs and sour cream and mix gently so that no lumps form. It should make the dough consistency like pancakes. If the dough is too thin, the cake will be wet inside. Too thick dough will make the cake hard.
4. Divide the dough in half. Spread it in different dishes. Add cocoa powder to one part. The amount of this product depends on the intensity of the color you want to receive. Add in the light dough as much flour as you added cocoa in the second half. This is done in order to level the consistency of light and dark dough.
5. Grease the split form with oil and tart with flour. In the center alternately lay out light and brown dough with a spoon. The thickness of the strips is determined by the portion of dough that you post. In order for the stripes on the edges and in the middle of the cake to be approximately the same, it is necessary to gradually reduce the portions of the dough being laid out.
6. Put the dough into the oven preheated to 160C. Bake for about an hour. Do not open the oven door for the first 20 minutes. Check the readiness of the cake with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Stick a stick in the middle of the cake, remove if it is dry, then the cake is ready. 7. Remove the mold from the oven and cool the cake. Then put it on a kitchen towel or lattice so that the bottom is not damp.
8. For the glaze, pour the milk into a saucepan, add sugar. Put on a small fire and cook until the crystals completely dissolve. Add butter. As soon as it disperses, pour cocoa and mix well. Remove from heat.
9. Cover the cake with warm icing, coating the sides. Fully cooled glaze sprinkled with white coconut flakes. Serve with tea, coffee, compote or other drinks.
Recipe 2. Zebra Cake: A Step-by-Step Recipe with Cream
400 g of wheat flour;
two teaspoons of vanilla sugar;
four chicken eggs;
5 g of baking soda;
60 g of cocoa powder;
200 g of 20% sour cream;
a pack of butter or margarine;
200 g cane sugar.
half a liter of 25% sour cream;
200 g of white sugar;
Cream of condensed milk
150 g butter;
600 g of condensed milk.
three tablespoons of sour cream, cocoa powder and sugar;
butter - 50 g
Method of preparation
1. First, be sure to sift the flour. This is done in order to saturate it with oxygen. Combine the sifted flour with baking soda and mix.
2. Pre-remove the butter or margarine from the refrigerator and leave for an hour to make the fat soft. Put sour cream in deep dishes, add eggs, white sugar and soft butter to it. Sour cream can be replaced with kefir. Shake all with a whisk until smooth. Gradually sprinkle the flour into the creamy-egg mixture and mix so that no lumps form. Add vanilla sugar and mix again. Place half of the dough in a separate bowl. Add cocoa powder to it and mix well. In white dough, add the same amount of flour. This is to ensure that the consistency of white and brown dough was the same.
3. Grease the round shape with oil. Put half the white dough. In the center, pour in half brown. Pour the remaining white dough into the center and re-brown. With a wooden skewer, mix the dough in a circle from the center to the edge. Put the form in the oven, preheating it to 180C. Bake for about an hour. Then remove the cupcake from the oven, cool it and place on the wire rack. Cut the cake lengthwise into three pieces. This can be done with a knife with a long thin blade, or using a pastry thread. 4. To make sour cream, place the sour cream in some gauze folded several times, connect the edges and hang so that all the glasses are drained. Put the thick sour cream in a bowl. Dissolve sugar and thoroughly whisk everything with a mixer or whisk. Wash lemon, wipe and peel it off with the finest grater. Squeeze a tablespoon of juice from a lemon. Add the zest and juice to the cream and mix.
5. Cook the cream of condensed milk. Banks with condensed milk, put in a saucepan and cover with water so that it completely covers them. Put on a small fire and cook for half an hour. Remove the jars from the water and cool completely. Open the banks. Put boiled condensed milk in a bowl, gently kneading it with a fork. Add soft butter to condensed milk and beat with a mixer for ten minutes.
6. Brush the bottom cake with sour cream. Put the second cake on top. His, top and sides of the cake promagte cream of condensed milk.
7. Prepare the icing. Put sour cream, white sugar and cocoa in a saucepan. Stir all until smooth. Put the saucepan on a slow fire and warm, stirring continuously. Do not bring to a boil. Remove the glaze from the stove, add butter and stir until it melts completely. Cool the icing to a warm state and pour the cake over it. Top can be decorated with white chocolate or coconut shavings. Leave the zebra cake (step-by-step recipe) soak for a couple of hours.
Zebra cake (step by step recipe) - tips and tricks
Be sure to sift the cake flour at least twice to make the dough airy.
The intensity of the color of the brown dough depends on the amount of cocoa added to it.
In place of cocoa, you can add black chocolate to the dough, after having melted it in a water bath.
As decoration use coconut chips or finely grated white chocolate.